Please - less heat & less fan noise

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Bill Schaible, Feb 21, 2005.

  1. I have a 1 GHz Athlon in an Asus A7V266 Mobo. It runs pretty hot just doing
    nothing. Like 48C at 750 MHz and 52C at 1000MHz with the fan going full
    blast, the PC case wide open and the computer doing nothing. It even smells
    hot. The temperature reading is the same from the BIOS utility and from
    ASUS Probe utility. It has a CoolerMaster fan/heatsink assembly installed
    with the thermal paste. I absolutely can't live with the noise of the CPU
    fan any longer. I even have a variable resistor in series with it to slow
    it down and reduce the noise. Believe it or not, cutting the fan RPMs by
    40% doesn't affect the temperature much, but cuts the noise significantly. I
    really HATE this fan noise. I know someone with a faster Athlon PC that
    uses a Zalman heatsink without any fan (silent) that runs cooler than this
    thing I have.

    Were Athlons of a certain vintage exceptionally hot, but subsequent models
    redesigned to run cooler? I think I remember that was how they evolved.
    The writing on my processor is as follows:
    AMD Athlon
    A1000AMT3C
    ASHHA0138MPMW
    1999 AMD

    Is this one of the very hot ones? Can I change to something cooler without
    changing the MOBO too? Or am I just out of luck? I'm ready to get rid of
    the Athlon, the MOBO and the $50 fan and replace with components of similar
    quality but something quieter. MUCH Quieter. Almost silent if possible.

    Please suggest what I can do. What is a quiet combination I can put
    together from components currently on the market? I'd rather not go to
    liquid cooling or a Peltier cooler if I don't need to. Since speed is the
    parameter that sells best, does that mean everything is now fast, hot and
    noisy? !.0 GHz is plenty fast in my opinion - so I don't care what's the
    fastest. I realize they all come pretty fast these days.

    Your suggestions will be appreciated.

    Thanks. Bill S.

    Bill Schaible, Feb 21, 2005

  2. Bill Schaible

    Glennbo Guest

    I think you need to simply replace the fan with something like this: -

    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=58511

    I remember the first time I came across an Artic Cooling fan - I could not
    believe how quiet it was. For £7 GBP (Ebuyer do have a US site as well) you
    could do a lot worse.

    Also, as you state that the fan speed makes no difference to temperature, I
    would suggest that the problem lies with the interface between the CPU and
    heatsink. Did you use thermal compound when you installed? Have you removed
    and reseated the heatsink many times?

    Could it also be that your PSU fan is very load and adding to the noise?

    Go for a new CPU fan/heatsink before you even think about upgrading - better
    to spend a few quid then a furtune on a new mobo and CPU!

    Glennbo

    Glennbo, Feb 21, 2005

  3. Bill Schaible

    Wes Newell Guest

    Al Tbird cores ran hot
    You can change the CPU to a later model. Preferably a barton or Tbred B
    core. And spend $10 for a TR2-M1 or M3 cooler. Sell your old cpu and
    cooler on ebay.
    Well, if you are going to replace the MB too, then you might as well buy
    a new MB, ram, and cpu and sell your old one.
    If you don't want to spend a lot of money and still double your speed,
    reduce the noise, and run cooler, to keep it simple, buy an Athlon XP
    2400+ and a TR2-M1 cooler. That will get you twice the speed at 2000MHz
    plus SSE instructions for more speed. DO NOT buy a Sempron. See Sempron in
    link below. if you are happy with your current speed, just replace the
    cooler.

    Wes Newell, Feb 21, 2005
  4. Bill Schaible

    Franklin Guest

    On Mon 21 Feb 2005 08:17:22, Glennbo wrote:

    It's a good fan. I like it.

    ANd that is a great price. I paid £20 for mine at Maplins about 12
    months ago.

    Franklin, Mar 1, 2005