Please Rate my Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Darmin, May 19, 2004.

  1. Darmin

    Darmin Guest

    Please rate it from 1-10 (1 being the lowest score and 10 highest for the money)

    Price $730 - Brand new
    Processor Class: AMD® AthlonTM 64
    Processor Speed: 2.0 GHz
    Cache Size: 1 MB
    Memory Speed: PC2700 (333MHz)
    Memory Technology: DDR-SDRAM (DDRRAM)
    Installed Memory: 1 GB
    Maximum Memory: 2 GB
    Memory Slots Total: 3
    Memory Slots Available: 1
    Hard Drive Capacity: 160 GB
    Drive Controllers: Serial ATA
    DVD Read Speed: 16 X
    DVD Write Speed: 4 X
    DVD Rewrite Speed: Not specified by manufacturer
    Video Chipset: ATI® RADEONTM 9600XT
    Video Bus: AGP (Version Unspecified)
    Video Integration: Card
    Installed Video Memory: 128 MB
    Port Connectors: 6 High Speed USB 2.0 (two front, four rear)
    1 serial
    1 parallel
    2 PS/2
    1 external VGA monitor
    1 FireWire (IEEE 1394) (rear)
    RJ-11 Modem
    RJ-45 Ethernet
    Headphone/Microphone (Front and Back)

    AGP Slots: 1
    PCI Slots: 5
    Slots Notes: 3 PCI open

    Included Drives: 3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Drive
    DVD-ROM
    DVD-RW
    Hard Drive
    External 3.5 Bays: 1
    External 5.25 Bays: 4
    External Bays Notes: 2 5.25-inch open

    Internal 3.5 Bays: 4
    Expansion Bays: 3 open

    Network Support: Ethernet (10/100 Mbps)
    Modem Speed: 56 Kbps
    Input Devices: Keyboard
    Wheel Mouse
    Installed Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional
    In the Box: Minitower
    Logitech Internet Keyboard
    Logitech Optical Mouse
    Power cord
    Phone cord
    Printed manual

    Chassis Style: Tower (Mini)

    Darmin, May 19, 2004

  2. Darmin

    Zebedee Guest

    Excellent but needs more ram and a faster DVD drive. Those are only minor
    things though. Can get a 16x write DVD drive and more ram for next to
    nothing. XP really needs 256mb minimum. I suggest 512mb as a good start with
    XP.

    --
    Yours

    Zebedee

    (Claiming asylum in an attempt
    to escape paying his debts to
    Dougal and Florence)

    Zebedee, May 19, 2004

  3. Darmin

    Aaron Guest

    Sounds like a great deal. I rate it 9.
    I would rate it 10 if it had PC3200 400MHZ RAM.

    Aaron

    Aaron, May 20, 2004
  4. Darmin

    Darmin Guest

    But it already comes with 1gig of ram? I don't get your answer. I
    appreciate your comments though!

    Thanks

    Darmin, May 20, 2004
  5. Darmin

    jamotto Guest

    It would have to be 8X

    If this is for gaming I would give it a 6 what holds it back is the
    graphics card this setup could really use a ATI Radeon 9800XT/Nvidia
    FX5950 or better.

    jamotto, May 20, 2004
  6. Darmin

    Darmin Guest

    I would like to do some light gaming. Maybe Call of Duty and Need for
    Speed Underground. I am not really concerned with extreme gaming
    graphics you know. However, I will mod the computer with better and
    faster ram and a better graphics card.

    Do you think I will be able to play those games? I will use this
    computer as a home computer for surfing the net, using Dreamweaver and
    MS Office... I would like to be able to play those games in the
    begining...

    Darmin, May 20, 2004
  7. Darmin

    Zebedee Guest

    I must have misread. I thought you'd said 128mb RAM.

    The only downer there is the DVD.

    My PC spec is as following:
    LCD 15" screen
    Midi Tower
    DVD +/-RW, 8x write
    CD RW 16x10x40
    256mb ram
    LAN, USB2.0
    2.2ghz CPU
    LS120
    Floppy drive
    2x HDDs
    Raid card

    I didn't go for high-end sound or high-end graphics because LCD screens are
    16 bit plus I never bother plugging the speakers in anyway.

    Added to that lot, my AT keyboard (with an AT-ATX converter) and a cordless
    mouse.

    Zebedee, May 20, 2004
  8. Darmin

    jamotto Guest

    Sure it will play those games. However the weak link in this system
    is the graphics card. The processor is fast enough that it will wait
    from time to time on the graphics card.

    IMO, you might be better of with AMD's XP processors. Save's you some
    money and use that to get a better graphics card.

    jamotto, May 20, 2004
  9. Darmin

    Darmin Guest

    See the thing is I am getting this system from a friend that is moving
    overseas. He just a got a new job over there so he won't be needing
    to take a pc with him. He built for close to $1400 and he would give
    it to me for half of that price.

    I really want to help him out and myself :); however, I would upgrade
    the video card within few months.

    Do you have any comments on how this processor will perform on windows
    xp professional? (That is what he has on it) When I use the computer
    at his house it seems really good. I just want to know if this is a
    processor that will last for a longer time.

    Newegg.com has this same processor for $280 (which I think is about
    $100 cheaper then most stores) and the reviews for it are pretty good.
    I'm looking for someone that has used this processor for a while now
    to see what they think about it.

    Thanks

    Darmin, May 21, 2004
  10. Darmin

    jamotto Guest

    In that case take it!
    That would require a crystal ball, to predict the future. IMO, this
    system should last atleast 1-2 years beyond that who know's.

    I notice there is no mention of a sound card? You are going to need
    that.

    One last suggestion is to ask your friend for the makes and models for
    the motherboard, etc so you can update the drivers for this computer.

    jamotto, May 21, 2004
  11. Darmin

    carl Guest

    i would say buy it--for that price you can't go wrong

    carl, May 21, 2004
  12. Darmin

    Peter Guest

    These video cards are $400-$500 cards. They will definately be better,
    but the system as you describe it is WELL worth the money.
    As for the future....????
    Windows XP Pro is a 32-bit Operating System --- The Athlon 64 is a
    64-bit Processor. Their currently is little or NO software that can
    utilize the FULL capability of this processor. The next version of
    Windows (last claimed by MS to be released in 2006) will be a 64-bit
    O/S.

    Peter, May 21, 2004
  13. Darmin

    Peter Guest

    Price $730 - Brand new

    With 3 memory slots - each accepting a 1 gig ram chip - the total
    memory should be 3 gig!!!

    If you want to upgrade the memory the board should accept (but double
    check) DDR434 PC 3500 memory (Kingston HyperX) This is the type of Ram
    I suggust for gaming systems.

    Good. The best right now would be 8x write speed
    Is the drive DVD+R or DVD-R or DVD+/-R

    Good card....better would be ATI9800XT or NVidia FX5950 Ultra
    ($450-$500)

    Peter, May 21, 2004
  14. Darmin

    Darmin Guest

    The sound card is Creative Labs SB Audigy Sound Card with IEEE-1394 Connector...

    I'm sorry I didn't list it. Is it good? I'm sorry I'm such a noob in this area

    Thanks for your replies!

    Darmin, May 21, 2004
  15. Darmin

    Darmin Guest