Please tell me I didn't hose my system board (eeprom error)

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Mark Mitchell, Jan 25, 2005.

  1. Today when I powered up my thinkpad T20, I got an error message 0189: Invalid
    RFID Configuration Information Area.

    According to the IBM website, that's an EEPROM checksum error.

    Is there *any* solution short of replacing the MB?

    If not, is MB replacement something I should think about doing myself
    (never
    done any serious disassembly of a laptop, but I'm comfortable with
    desktops/printers)?

    I've seen the warning on the linux-thinkpad website about lm-sensors, but I
    never touched that.  All I've done with the machine since I got it a week
    or
    two ago is install win ME, slackware-current, bought and installed a new
    battery, and I was working on getting linux working with my Linksys WPC54GS
    cardbus wireless network card.  It was working fine, powered it down this
    morning, powered it up a couple hours later and I get the error.  What the
    hell happened?!?!?!?

    Thanks,
    Mark--
    Remove both wrongs to make the email address right.

    Mark Mitchell, Jan 25, 2005

  2. Mark Mitchell

    Jim Walker Guest

    A system board is one of the last things you should try yourself. IBM will
    not even sell a customer a system board for that reason. I am not an
    expert, but in addition to taking the old one out and replacing it with then
    new one, you must initialize the new board. There are warnings on changing
    the BIOS where if it is done wrong the system board is history, so it looks
    like an exact procedure must be followed with a new board. It could be the
    end of the line if it is a system board and if the price of repair is not
    worth it.

    Jim Walker, Jan 27, 2005