plextor px-712SA (SATA) and SiI 3112 on IC7-G

Discussion in 'Abit' started by gnu valued customer, Dec 3, 2004.

  1. Hello,

    http://www.plextor.com/english/products/712SA.htm

    Starting this past monday, I built an IC7-G based
    system from components ordered online. I took a shot
    and ordered the SATA PX-712SA DVD writer. This
    seemed workable since there are 2 SATA
    controllers. I used the Intel SATA for a Raid0
    array.

    The plextor is on SATA3.
    I've got the SiI Onboard PCI device controller
    enabled, but its Raid ROM is disabled.

    I've tried to burn 2 DVD images and one CD-R disk
    using Alcohol 120% and Roxio ECD/DVD, which comes
    bundled -- all failed.

    I used a Memorex and Verbatim DVD disk. I'm getting
    ATAPI write errors in all three cases.

    Should I return the SATA version of this drive and
    get the trusty PATA version, or has anyone
    succeeded with SATA?

    Should I bother to try the [1.05] firmware? My version
    is [1.04].

    I should be more conservative when buying system
    components. Once I got the Raid0 array working it
    seemed green lights all the way till now.

    tia,
    tlviewer

    gnu valued customer, Dec 3, 2004

  2. The parallel ATA drive would appear to be a safer bet.
    Got to be worth a try, as burning strategies and improving disc
    compatibility are normally the main reasons for firmware upgrades on CD and
    DVD writers.
    Lol, this is the problem with being on the bleeding edge, sometimes it's
    your blood that gets spilt! ;-)
    Yeah, the subsequent problems you've had with burning discs does seem to
    throw a little more relief on the issues you had getting the OS installed in
    the first place. Must admit that a parallel-ATA optical drive would always
    have been my first choice on a system like this as there's plenty of
    capacity on the Intel P-ATA controllers and it seems silly not to use it.

    On the other hand, S-ATA ATAPI devices should be pretty much mainstream -
    and bug free - by now, so it's surprising to see that you're having
    problems, especially from a brand like Plextor. May simply be that the drive
    you've got is defective in some way, or could be that the Silicon Image
    controller doesn't know how to handle native S-ATA ATAPI devices properly.

    If you try the firmware upgrade and it doesn't help, I'd certainly be
    thinking about exchanging the drive for a parallel one.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Dec 3, 2004

  3. Well I am using the PX-712-SA and burning DVDs CDs with no problem. It is
    on SATA3 with 2 SATA hard drives in SATA1 and SATA2.
    PX-712-SA is ROM 1.05 and IC7-G is ROM 25.
    -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Bill Graves RKBA!

    William Graves, Dec 3, 2004
  4. Bill,

    I loaded the latest Nero version (6.6) and tried to burn a
    simple VCD video disc. The laser burned and melted about
    1/16 of the edge of the CD-R disc! I immediately
    requested an RMA number and will mail the drive back
    in the morning.

    I'm fairly confident that the environment and SiI controller
    are OK, but burns fail because of a defect in the drive.

    The drive reads DVD's OK and boots too when the RAID ROM is
    enabled. I don't envision that I will use it to boot
    under normal circumstances.

    regards,
    tlviewer[/QUOTE]

    gnu valued customer, Dec 4, 2004