Pls help me replace Dimension 4550 Motherboard (6U214) with better/cheaper non-Dell mobo

Discussion in 'Dell' started by cdrcurious, Aug 1, 2004.

  1. cdrcurious

    cdrcurious Guest

    I am helping a friend who has fried this mobo, seems there is a high
    failure rate by reading newsgroups. I am experienced at putting
    together PCs from standard components.

    If I can get a replacement that fits, I am sure I can get a
    better/cheaper/more reliable solution for my friend. What I am missing
    is form factor, compatibility with existing CPU & memory,
    power/led/switch connections, physical fit into existing case.

    Is there someone out there who has a tried and true solution?

    Thanks in advance for your help, here are the mobo/CPU/memory specs
    from the Dell service tag lookup:

    1 6U214 CARD (CIRCUIT), PLANAR (MOTHERBOARD), DIM4550, NETWORK
    INTERFACE CARD/CONTROLLERS

    1 9U540 PROCESSOR, 80532, 2.0G, 512K, 400, SOCKET N, C1

    1 8T914 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 256, 333M, 32X64, 8K, 184

    cdrcurious, Aug 1, 2004

  2. The board is proprietary enough that retrofitting an aftermarket board isn't
    easy - it involves case modifications, rewiring, and other issues. At a
    minimum, you'll need to figure out how to mount a standard board in the Dell
    case (the Dell board mounts in a nonstandard way to a tray), split out the
    front panel connector to individual 2-, 3- and 4-wire terminators, and
    replace the I/O shield at the back of the case. In all, it'll be a lot
    easier if you replace the case with the mainboard.

    The CPU is socket 478 and the memory PC2700 DDR-DRAM.

    Edward J. Neth, Aug 1, 2004

  3. cdrcurious

    WSZsr Guest

    How many failures did you find in the newsgroups? 5 or 10 or 20? Out of
    hundreds of thousands sold, not too bad. How many posted that their
    motherboard did not fail? Not too many I bet. I doubt that the failure
    rate was high. In any case, you have no idea what the failure rate is.

    WSZsr, Aug 1, 2004
  4. cdrcurious

    cdrcurious Guest

    You're right.

    I didn't read about all the people with failures who didn't post,
    either. I also didn't know that hundreds of thousands of the 6U214
    were sold. Would love to have your source of information?

    BTW, I have an ABIT BE7 that hasn't fried yet. Just getting the poll
    going, I guess ;-)

    cdrcurious, Aug 1, 2004
  5. cdrcurious

    cdrcurious Guest

    Thanks.

    cdrcurious, Aug 1, 2004
  6. cdrcurious

    Tom Scales Guest

    The 4550 was the mainstay model for quite awhile. I own two. You're
    absolutely right, Dell didn't make hundreds of thousands of 4550 models.

    They made millions. Easily.

    Just look at their volumes and even a percentage of thta is huge.

    Oh, and by the way, I've been in this newsgroup for years and yours is the
    first failed 4550 that I remember reading about. Not saying it doesn't
    happen, as clearly it does, but it is not a 'known problem'.

    Personally, I'd bet on a power spike.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 2, 2004
  7. cdrcurious

    cdrcurious Guest

    Boy, people come out of the woodwork to pile on. You must have missed
    the point of this thread, and of this group. To help people.

    As for your market research, since you claim that Dell sold millions
    of one particular model, I'll bet they've sold billions of PC's since
    they've been in business?

    All told, I'll bet there have been hundreds of billions PC's sold
    since the beginning of time?

    Give me a break.

    cdrcurious, Aug 3, 2004
  8. cdrcurious

    WSZsr Guest

    About as accurate as your claim that the failure rate is high.............

    WSZsr, Aug 3, 2004