    models. i need a something within the price range of $500-1400.
    i need advice from you as i'v no experience with laptops.

    thanks

    kelly, Jan 18, 2008

  2. kelly

    A Dembinski Guest

    I bought a new Lenovo 0769-ANU just before New Year's. I had similar
    preferences to yours.
    See this tinyurl:
    http://tinyurl.com/2ky92r
    It has a 15.4" screen, Core 2 Duo CPU (each at 1.47 GHz, together they run
    like 2.5 GHz), 1 GB RAM, 100 GB SATA HDD, and most importantly,
    Win XP Pro. Has a DVD/RW of some kind, built-in modem, Ethernet, WiFi,
    Firewire & 3 USB ports, S-video out, fingerprint reader, & a built-in
    microphone plus headphone jacks. No Bluetooth. The screen is brilliant and
    the keyboard feels great. The power jack has engineering much superior to
    the run-of-the-mill laptops that so many wind up having trouble with. It
    was manufactured a few months ago.
    It cost me $640 after rebates including state sales tax. For $21 I bought &
    added a 1GB stick of RAM. I have a spare 120 GB SATA 2.5" HDD laying around
    the house, which I can substitute at any time. I have a 300 MB database I
    edit from the HDD every day, previous laptops add trouble working it, this
    machine just rips through quickly. Only deficiency I've found is mediocre
    speakers. I've no preference for Intel or AMD, I've had laptops with
    either.
    If you find one you like better, please let us all know. Rebate
    expires end of Jan 2008, price goes up $100 after that.

    A Dembinski, Jan 20, 2008

  3. kelly

    kelly Guest

    Hi A Dembinski, Thanks for sharing your experience with me about
    Lenovo. I didnt even think abt that brand,coz i dont see that brand
    around a lot. but looks like that's also good. I'll check that out and
    will let you know. That's a very good deal you'v got.
    Have a nice day!

    kelly, Jan 20, 2008
  4. Hi kelly,

    Here's my advice.

    1) For the 15" - 15.4" screen, I think most of the 'thin and light'
    notebooks out there have this configuration.
    2) The 2.2 GHz processor speed (I prefer Intel Core 2 Duo)
    3) Go for 2 GB RAM - that is sufficient.
    4) 120 GB is plenty for doing normal word processing, surfing and
    email. If you plan to do video production, then you need maybe 200 GB
    or more.

    A very good model that fits the above specs is the Lenovo ThinkPad
    T61. Its a tad expensive, but I find it having just the right mix of
    features. You can also consider the Sony VAIO VGN-FZ280E.

    If you want to read more, you can check out a review of thin and light
    notebooks I wrote at the following webpage:
    http://www.best-laptop-guide.com/best-thin-and-light-laptops.html

    Hope this helps, and just let me know if you have questions.

    Best Regards,
    Gary Hendricks
    http://www.best-laptop-guide.com

    gary_hendricks_mail, Jan 22, 2008