    ideas how to keep this computer from shutting down.

    Thanks,
    Paul

    P&L, Jul 18, 2007

  2. P&L

    Paul Guest

    Remove the heatsink again. Study the pattern left in the thermal
    grease. Is the heatsink fully squashing the paste ? Is paste
    spread all the way out to the edges ? Also, check that the
    heatsink is sitting flat. This is one reason, if at all possible,
    I try to fit the heatsink while the motherboard is outside the
    case. That allows visual inspection, to see whether the heatsink
    is flush with the processor or not. On one old motherboard, my
    heatsink actually was resting on the metal lever arm that
    operates the ZIF socket.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jul 18, 2007