    Would someone please tell me what I can change to enable the PNP feature?

    Thanks so much,

    Toots

    Toots, Aug 17, 2003

  2. Toots

    John Guest

    you dont have to have plug and play ~ install device in computer,
    reboot, add/ remove hardware > have disk > explore for driver

    John, Aug 18, 2003

  3. Toots

    Toots Guest

    Thanks. I will try your method but the manual is very specific and it says
    to start the CDROM disk before connecting the modem.

    Will report the results of attaching the modem first.

    Toots

    Toots, Aug 18, 2003
  4. Toots

    Toots Guest

    John, I tired to install by using Add New Hardware. I tried to install for
    the cdrom disk, from a floppy and from the same info on my hard drive. In
    each case it said no information about my modem and would not install.

    I have tried so many ways and none will work. That is why I am trying so
    hard to get my BIOs to show the OS is plug and play. According to the
    manual the CDROM disk checks to see if you have active USB, which I do and
    if it is PNP.

    Toots

    Toots, Aug 18, 2003
  5. Toots

    John Guest

    what type of modem ? the instructions sound very strange, as PnP is
    when the device is installed first and the OS detects it. You can enable PnP
    in the BIOS, set resources controlled by auto, and you can also set modem
    IRQ in Power Management Setup ~

    John, Aug 19, 2003
  6. Toots

    Toots Guest

    The Modem is a RCA DCM305 Broadband Cable modem for NIC or USB. I have USB
    on both my pcs.

    The manual says if the installation disk does not work and you do it
    manually you must follow the steps exactly as spelled out. I have followed
    these steps over and over again and still come back to the same problem,
    that you must use the installation disk to install the drivers and the
    installation disk will not work. Instead of telling you to press a button
    to install, it says press a button to remove shortcuts.

    The installation disk is good. On my newer that I use mostly I have a duel
    system with win98/winxp and the installation disk worked fine in them. The
    BIOs is that pc says the OS is PNP. This is why I thought if I could get
    the FIC pc to show the OS as PNP I could install with the disk.

    Think I will flash the BIOs today and get it up to date. Maybe that will
    help. I have never flashed the BIOs before so I have to really study it.

    Would the IRQ Sequence in the BIOs have anything to do this this problem? I
    see I made a note in 2000 that this was changed when I loaded the BIOs
    Defaults.

    In the past I do not recall any particular trouble installing any type
    hardware/software.

    Kyle you lost me about not having enough IRQ Interrupts.

    Toots

    Toots, Aug 19, 2003
  7. Toots

    Kyle Brant Guest

    I provided specific instructions on how to review your IRQ assignments
    and check to see if all of your IRQs are used. There are 16 IRQs
    (interrupts) that are available, and to get around this limitation,
    win9x implemented a scheme known as "IRQ sharing" or "IRQ Steering".
    IRQ sharing will not work properly if the onboard USB is enabled with
    a 503+ because there is a problem with the BIOS, it does not provide
    the IRQ routing table to win9x, so win9x has problems sharing the
    IRQs.

    Do you have any devices in device manager that are showing a yellow
    exclamation sign, indicating there is a problem with the device? Read
    my post below again and carefully for the instructions on reviewing
    your IRQ usage/assignments with your 503+.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle
    | The Modem is a RCA DCM305 Broadband Cable modem for NIC or USB. I
    have USB
    | on both my pcs.
    |
    | The manual says if the installation disk does not work and you do it
    | manually you must follow the steps exactly as spelled out. I have
    followed
    | these steps over and over again and still come back to the same
    problem,
    | that you must use the installation disk to install the drivers and
    the
    | installation disk will not work. Instead of telling you to press a
    button
    | to install, it says press a button to remove shortcuts.
    |
    | The installation disk is good. On my newer that I use mostly I have
    a duel
    | system with win98/winxp and the installation disk worked fine in
    them. The
    | BIOs is that pc says the OS is PNP. This is why I thought if I
    could get
    | the FIC pc to show the OS as PNP I could install with the disk.
    |
    | Think I will flash the BIOs today and get it up to date. Maybe that
    will
    | help. I have never flashed the BIOs before so I have to really
    study it.

    | Would the IRQ Sequence in the BIOs have anything to do this this
    problem? I
    | see I made a note in 2000 that this was changed when I loaded the
    BIOs
    | Defaults.
    |
    | In the past I do not recall any particular trouble installing any
    type
    | hardware/software.
    |
    | Kyle you lost me about not having enough IRQ Interrupts.
    |
    | Toots
    | | > By enabling "PNP os" in the BIOS, the OS can "take control" over
    PNP
    | > devices that the BIOS has initially setup. IOW, IRQ assignments
    can
    | > be changed by the OS. I run most of my old ss7 systems with PNP
    OS
    | > disabled, and have never encountered a situation where a PNP
    device
    | > went undetected by win9x.
    | >
    | > It strikes me you might not have any available interrupts, have
    you
    | > checked that out? To see the IRQ assignments, double click the
    | > "computer" icon in device manager.
    | >
    | > Further, there is an issue with the mvp3 chipset and USB and the
    award
    | > BIOS used by the 503+ (and other ss7 mobos) in that IRQ
    | > routing/sharing does not work correctly when you enable the USB
    device
    | > in the BIOS. The OS is unable to obtain an IRQ routing table from
    the
    | > BIOS and problems with windows erupt if you are out of interrupts
    and
    | > some devices are still needing interrupts. One solution is to
    disable
    | > the serial ports on the mobo in the BIOS setup (frees up IRQ 3 and
    4)
    | > if you are not using any serial devices.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Best regards,
    | > Kyle
    | > tired of spam, no email address
    | > install for
    | > | the cdrom disk, from a floppy and from the same info on my hard
    | > drive. In
    | > | each case it said no information about my modem and would not
    | > install.
    | > |
    | > | I have tried so many ways and none will work. That is why I am
    | > trying so
    | > | hard to get my BIOs to show the OS is plug and play. According
    | > the
    | > | manual the CDROM disk checks to see if you have active USB,
    which I
    | > do and
    | > | if it is PNP.
    | > |
    | > | Toots
    | > and it
    | > | says

    | > computer,

    | > | use
    | > Checked

    | > desktop
    | > PNP OS
    | > | back
    | > success.

    | > default

    | > PNP

    | > |
    | > |

    Kyle Brant, Aug 20, 2003
  8. Toots

    Toots Guest

    Kyle,

    I know how to check my IRQ Interrupts but if you cannot use USB with
    sharing, it would defeat my purpose. I am trying to use a USB Modem.

    Now that I have flashed the BIOs I am going to make one more try using USB
    and if it will not work, will get a NIC and go that route.

    No problems showing in Device Manager.

    Thanks for the help,

    Toots

    Toots, Aug 20, 2003