PNY 6600GT AGP crashing winxp hard.

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by jdjonsson, Mar 3, 2005.

  1. jdjonsson

    jdjonsson Guest

    Hi,

    Since getting my PNY 6600GT AGP card, It completely crashes winxp to a
    soft reboot every 15 to 20 minutes, while playing either Medal of
    Honor: Pacific Assault, or Call of Duty: United Offensive. Upon Reboot,
    XP informs me that a hardware device driver caused the crash.

    I've tried Chronicles of Riddick: EFBB and it doesn't crash.

    I read that the MOH games can cause it to crash, but there is a profile
    in the card settings which should stop that, and I'm running the
    correct profiles.

    I'm using the 66.93 driver, and my system looks like this:

    Athlon XP 3000+
    ASUS A7N8X-E
    1GB PC 2700 Kingston Value Ram
    WinXP Pro.
    Soundblaster Live!

    Has anyone encountered this? I've been changing BIOS settings, and
    eliminating all sorts of extra running processes and TSRs, and
    nothing's helped.

    TIA,
    Jeff.

    jdjonsson, Mar 3, 2005

  2. jdjonsson

    jdjonsson Guest

    Oh, some more info: I'm running DX9c and I replaced a Ti 4600 that ran
    all those games Just fine.

    TIA,
    Jeff.

    jdjonsson, Mar 3, 2005

  3. jdjonsson

    DaveL Guest

    Could the power supply be marginal? Is the power supply connected to the
    video card? Could the video card be overheating? Did you reinstall the
    driver after changing the card?

    DaveL

    DaveL, Mar 3, 2005
  4. jdjonsson

    jdjonsson Guest

    Brand new 450W power supply, Yes it is connected, and yes, I have
    reinstalled the driver since installing the board.

    I don't know if the board is overheating, but I would suspect that
    since some games work, and others don't, It doesn't seem like it would
    be overheating. I've got it in a Vantec Server case, with 2 case fans.
    My CPU never goes above 45C and the motherboard never gets above 86F.

    Thanks,
    Jeff.

    jdjonsson, Mar 3, 2005
  5. jdjonsson

    DaveL Guest

    Try running memtest86 on your memory. I know you said all worked fine
    before you swapped video cards but you never know. A crash after 20 minutes
    of gaming could be the card overheating. Doesn't the driver have temp
    monitoring? Try opening the side of the case and direct a house fan blowing
    onto the card while running a game. You should uninstall and reinstall the
    driver again to be on the safe side. Maybe try a different driver. If all
    fails then maybe you got a bad card?

    DaveL

    DaveL, Mar 3, 2005
  6. jdjonsson

    jdjonsson Guest

    The only driver which supports the 6600GT is the 66.93 and their betas.
    I could test a beta I guess.

    I ran memtest86 recently with no problems. I'll check into the
    overheating thing, but I seriously doubt it. I'm also going to crank
    down the graphics settings. I've been running at 1280x1024 with lots of
    high settings.

    I'm almost thinking bad card. I guess I'd have to return it to CompUSA,
    but I've already sent off and received the rebate.

    jdjonsson, Mar 3, 2005
  7. jdjonsson

    Shorecat600 Guest

    I don't know what you mean by "the only driver", but if you meant the
    "first driver" you may be correct but I found that the latest Forceware
    75.90 drivers work great and it cured a problem I was having with MOH
    Pacific Assault. Give them a try from the Guru3d.com site, I believe.
    Good Luck.
    BTW, I have an xfx 6600GT AGP.

    Shorecat600, Mar 3, 2005
  8. jdjonsson

    jdjonsson Guest

    The only released "stable" WHQL certified driver. I guess I will try
    the beta driver before I give up.

    jdjonsson, Mar 3, 2005
  9. jdjonsson

    Rich Webb Guest

    Read back in the archives here for instructions on turning off "DEP"
    that was introduced with WinXP SP2. I was experiencing similar problems
    until I modified the XP boot command line to /NoExecute=Always.

    I suspect that my particular issue was the 6600GT/AGP and Soundblaster
    Audigy tromping over each other's memory (or maybe just the 6600GT
    getting into the Audigy's space) since now, instead of crashing, I get
    occasional audio artifacts (sounds like the computer is farting,
    actually). Otherwise, runs very stable.

    Rich Webb, Mar 3, 2005
  10. jdjonsson

    jdjonsson Guest

    The problem may be solved. I did two things, I turned off Fast Write in
    the BIOS, and I installed the 71.96 driver from guru 3D. Oh, 3 things,
    I turned off DEP like Rich said. I did that first, and COD:UO still
    crashed, but it didn't crash windows. And after it crashed, the gamma
    was set so high on my desktop I had to reboot anyway. Then I did the
    other two things, and no crashes yet.

    And FYI, to anyone who finds this thread and needs the info, set the
    command in boot.ini to turn off DEP to: '/NoExecute=AlwaysOff'

    note: DEP is only enabled in XP SP2.

    jdjonsson, Mar 4, 2005
  11. jdjonsson

    Jim George Guest

    Hi Jeff,
    Try downloading the HDR demo program at www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa , run
    it in a window while monitoring your GPU's core temp from the nVidia
    control panel. I have a PNY 6600GT PCI-Express version, I noticed very
    similar problems to what you described while playing UT2004, but only
    after OCing the board. Bringing it back to normal speed removed the
    problem, which leads me to believe it's temp. related. I found that my
    GPU's temp goes up to around 85 C while using this HDR demo program. On
    your board, however, there's the added variable of the HSI and it's
    temp, which I dont think is monitored.
    BTW, when UT encounters problems, it stutters the same frame back and
    forth, with all texturing gone, while the audio goes crazy. I don't
    think this means that there is any interaction between the GPU and the
    audio card. My mobo has an Audigy LS chip onboard.
    I'm using Windows 2000 SP4 on an A64 3000 with an MSI nF4 SLI board,
    1GB RAM. The motherboard is slightly overclocked (CPU input frequency is
    210 MHz, x9 multiplier), and it's passed Prime95 for over 5 hours.
    -Jim

    Jim George, Mar 6, 2005
  12. jdjonsson

    Russ Guest

    Try using an updated driver for your gfx card and mainboard.. also check
    your psu is upto the job.. a 'standard' psu rated at 350w.. will not be very
    happy.. and it certainly wont handle 350w load.. the best your looking at
    about 250w stable.. google for 'pc power calculator'

    with your 2x512 stick ram.. hdd.. gfx.. 5.1 sblive.. cd drive.. whatever usb
    devices.. a 3ghz chip youl be using a lot of power, get a good 350+ w psu
    from antec/enermax/thermaltake/coolermaster etc..

    cheers

    russ

    Russ, Mar 29, 2005