PNY 6600GT cooler replacement

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Jim George, Mar 12, 2005.

  1. Jim George

    Jim George Guest

    Hi all,
    I removed the stock GPU cooler and ramsinks on my PNY 6600GT and put in
    a Zalman VF700-AlCu instead. The results were immediately obvious from
    the reduction in noise compared to the stock cooler, and also in the GPU
    core temp readings while running a D3D animation. Previously, I had
    noted temps like 85 C in the control panel on load, and about 60 C idle.
    Now I get 42 C idle and between 55 and 58 C on load, with no OC. I
    bumped up the GPU core to 520 MHz and the memory to 1.04 GHz (double),
    and there was only a 2 C rise in temp :)
    Can someone give me hints on how high I can go with this setup? Thanks.
    One more thing, the PNY stock RAM coolers had more metal in them than
    the Zalman ones, but were too tall to use along with the GPU cooler.
    Then again, the main benefit of more metal in a heatsink is to give it
    thermal inertia. Since the RAM chips don't change temp suddenly, this
    should not be such a big deal.
    I also noted down the markings on the memory chips, these are 2.0 ns
    versions (not 1.6), so the memory overclocking abilities of the PNY
    6600GT may not be so good.
    -Jim

    Jim George, Mar 12, 2005

  2. Jim George

    Jimbob Guest

    I have the same card, is it difficult what you did?

    Jimbob, Mar 12, 2005

  3. Youre more likely to encounter rendering artifacts and crashes before
    temperature problems, so keep going till something goes wrong then clock it
    back a tad

    Iain Dingsdale, Mar 12, 2005
  4. Jim George

    Jim George Guest

    Hi,
    Jimbob, no, it was quite simple to get the GPU cooler off, I just had
    to use a pair of small pliers to release the pins holding the cooler in
    place. The RAM sinks had thermal tape, so it was a bit of a struggle to
    get them off. The new ramsinks were easy to mount, just peel off the
    backing paper and put them on. Note that these are designed for BGA
    packages, but if you have TSSOP RAM chips, mount them in the center of
    the package (that's where the chips are). I then wiped off the extra
    thermal grease on the 6600GT, applied a fresh coat and put in the AlCu
    sink according to the instruction leaflet.
    I would have preferred to keep the stock RAM sinks (slightly bigger and
    more surface area), but they would bump into the main GPU cooler, so I
    removed them.
    I will try pushing the card higher, I usually play UT, so I will try a
    botmatch to check how the card fares. Before I put in the new heatsinks,
    the game used to crash after a few minutes of play, when the card was
    overclocked. There were no "warning signs" like rendering artifacts
    before the crash.
    -Jim

    Jim George, Mar 14, 2005