PNY 6600GT SLi mode problems

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Mark Smith, Jul 3, 2005.

  1. Mark Smith

    Mark Smith Guest

    I am trying to install 2 x PNY Nvidia 6600 GT SLi video cards into my Asus
    A8N-SLi Deluxe motherboard, however I can't get the nvidia software to give
    me any SLi options under windows as decribed in the manual for the
    motherboard. My OS is Windows XP SP2 fully up to date through windows
    update.

    All the hardware is where it should be, the SLi bridge, power to the EZ plug
    etc.

    I have down loaded the lastest Nvidia Video card drivers (version 77.72) and
    the latest drivers for the nForce4 chipset (6.53).

    Similar to another user on here my original motherboard BIOS version was
    1006. When I went into the BIOS to check any possible settings it didn't
    have the "SLI Mode" option in the Advanced menu, however it had an "SLI
    Configuration" sub-menu inbetween "Onboard Device Configuration" and
    "JumperFree Configuration". The only option that was available under the
    "SLI Configuration" sub-menu was "EZ-Plug Warning" (enabled or disabled).

    I updated my BIOS to 1011 and it still doesn't have the "SLI Mode" option
    though now there is 2 more options under "SLI Configuration" along with the
    "EZ-Plug Warning" (enabled or disabled).

    - SLI Broadcast Aperture (auto or disabled)
    - AI-Selector (auto, single video card or dual video card)

    I have tried all these options apart form 'single video card', I have
    changed the position of the video card selector to dual (the thing in
    between the 2 PCIe slots) get no SLi options in windows.

    The Windows does recognise 2 6600 GT video cards

    According to tech sites I have browsed over the weekend I should get 'greyed
    out' SLi optins in when there is only 1 card present I don't get this
    either..

    As I have updated the drivers ond the MB bios I am now struggling to see
    what to try next....

    Mark Smith, Jul 3, 2005

  2. Mark Smith

    BigJim Guest

    is the bios on the card identical?

    BigJim, Jul 4, 2005

  3. Mark Smith

    John Lewis Guest

    You mean are the BIOSes on the 2 video cards identical ?
    A very good question indeed !!

    OP: Boot the machine using each video card singly in turn and check
    the video BIOS on the boot screen.

    If they are not identical... hard luck. Hopefully you have an
    extended-replacement warranty with your retailer. PNY's support
    is a rusty tramp-steamer to China, and this is typhoon season......

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Jul 4, 2005
  4. Mark Smith

    Mark Smith Guest

    According to Nvidia the bois on the cards does not have to be indentical,
    however in this instance the bios on the 2 SLi video cards is the same:-
    5.43.02.16.51

    Mark Smith, Jul 4, 2005
  5. Mark Smith

    Conor Guest

    There's some new 80.xx drivers out there that have seriously improved
    SLI.

    Conor, Jul 4, 2005
  6. Mark Smith

    Mark Smith Guest

    Thanks connor where would I get these drivers (80.xx)????

    Mark Smith, Jul 4, 2005
  7. Mark Smith

    Mark Smith Guest

    Mark Smith, Jul 4, 2005
  8. Mark Smith

    Mark Smith Guest

    Now installed the 80.40 drives and they make no difference :-(

    Mark Smith, Jul 4, 2005
  9. Mark Smith

    John Lewis Guest

    1. Did you enable SLI Multi GPU in nView Properties ?
    2. Is your power-supply capable of supplying ~ 20 amps from +12V ?

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Jul 4, 2005
  10. Mark Smith

    Mark Smith Guest

    This is the issue there is no SLi mutli GPU option in nView properties.

    yes to psu question.

    Mark Smith, Jul 5, 2005
  11. Mark Smith

    Stoneskin Guest

    Mark Smith left a note on my windscreen which said:
    This sounds to me like a problem with either the hardware (motherboard
    or gfx cards) or the motherboard settings.

    Have you tested both cards separately to ensure they are both working
    properly? Are these older 6600GT cards?

    Stoneskin, Jul 5, 2005
  12. Mark Smith

    Mark Smith Guest

    These are brand new SLi video cards identical right down to the bios
    version.

    What motherboard setting would you be refering to, I have followed the
    directions inthe motherboard manual to the letter.

    Mark Smith, Jul 5, 2005
  13. Mark Smith

    Stoneskin Guest

    Mark Smith left a note on my windscreen which said:
    You have a later BIOS than I do on my Asus A8N-Deluxe motherboard so you
    have a few extra settings. But from your postings you appear to have
    all the setting correctly set.

    The problems you are experiencing just don't seem like driver issues. I
    would have a look at a hardware problem with either of the graphics
    cards or the Asus board.

    Test both the graphic cards separately to make sure they are both
    working correctly in single operation. If they do then I would wonder
    if it was a fault with the board.

    It's difficult to troubleshoot since most people probably don't have two
    other SLI capable cards or another SLI capable motherboard. I wonder if
    a local computer store may be able to setup two alternative graphic
    cards in your PC to check if the Asus board is functioning correctly or
    not?

    The only settings you haven't confirmed you have done, from what I can
    see, is to make sure the Init Display First setting in the BIOS is set
    to PCIEx instead of PCI (I have no idea if this makes a difference or
    not TBH), that the SLI mode setting in the BIOS is set to SLI - not
    Automatic and that the SLI connector bridge which goes across the top of
    the graphic cards is properly connected. From your postings I am fairly
    sure you have checked those settings and, assuming you have, this only
    really leaves a hardware fault - IMHO.

    Stoneskin, Jul 5, 2005
  14. Mark Smith

    Conor Guest

    Worth a try...they had some SLI improvements.

    Conor, Jul 5, 2005
  15. Mark Smith

    Caver99 Guest

    I have e-mailed mark privetly but i will post here as well, i am haveing the
    exact same problem with mine and i have contacted PNY and ASUS, ASUS are
    sending me out a replacement SLI link card to see if that is the problem as
    they have said that this helped another customer fix theres but if it dont
    fix it then i should return my mobo to point of sale for a replacement.
    I will post my finding when the replacement part arrives.

    Regards

    Graham

    Caver99, Jul 5, 2005
  16. Mark Smith

    Caver99 Guest

    The SLI Bridge arrived this morning and still no sli so i am going to
    contact my point of purchase for a replacement.

    Caver99, Jul 6, 2005
  17. Mark Smith

    John Lewis Guest

    Interesting....

    The common factors are PNY 6600GT and Asus A8N-SLI
    for both Mark and Caver99.

    Any bets on the culprit(s) ???

    The next week or so of this saga should be very interesting
    indeed, especially if a replacement A8N-SLI does not fix the
    problem.......

    John Lewis

    - Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.

    John Lewis, Jul 6, 2005