PNY FX5900 Ultra vs BFG 6600GT OC which one (Games/HDTV)?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by mfabache, Mar 4, 2006.

  1. mfabache

    mfabache Guest

    I have these two cards.

    Let's say rig A is a AMD 3800 w/ Corsair XMS (dual channel) and slated
    for TV/HDTV and Games
    Let's say rig B is a AMD 3500 w/ generic memory and slated for only
    TV/HDTV

    Both have similar boards for FSB, etc. RIg B has disadvantage of
    weaker memory.
    Which card should go in which rig?

    I know the 6600 has a higher clock speed (especially w/ the OC), but
    what about the 256Mb for the 5900 Ultra?

    My initial guess is probably put the BFG 6600GT OC in rig A. Is this
    the best I can do (with these 2 cards and configurations)?

    Thanks,
    MIchael

    mfabache, Mar 4, 2006

  2. mfabache

    First of One Guest

    "300" difference in PR rating and low-latency RAM don't make that much of an
    impact. The comp with the 6600GT will be faster in games, by something like
    40%. Simple as that.

    First of One, Mar 4, 2006

  3. mfabache

    mfabache Guest

    Thanks for the tip.

    How about this specification change:

    I was able to overclock my 5900 Ultra from 485Mhz to 511Mhz (Core) and
    850Mhz to 950Mhz (Memory)

    The 6600GT OC has clock speeds of 525Mhz (Core) and 1050 (Memory).
    The 6600GT OC has 128M, the Ultra 256M.

    What would be your opinion now on which would be a better fit for rig
    A/B?

    Thanks,
    Michael

    mfabache, Mar 4, 2006
  4. mfabache

    First of One Guest

    So... core speed increased by 5%, memory speed increased by 11%. This is
    nowhere nearly enough to make up for the performance deficit.

    First of One, Mar 5, 2006