PNY Verto 7900GS runs like shit through a funnel

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Guest, Dec 30, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Okay, that's an exaggeration, but I'm VERY disappointed in the
    performance of my recent modestly priced upgrade. I went from an Abit
    Socket A system to an Asus Socket 939 A8N-SLI with PNY Verto 7900GS
    video because I wanted to play LAST YEARS games, let alone the latest,
    with decent speed at 1280 X 1024 (native resolution of my LCD) and no
    choppiness. I fired up games like Gothic 3, NWN2 and The Witcher, and
    boy was I surprised! Even Titan Quest runs kind of stutterry under
    Windows XP SP2. Crappy performance not much better than my old ATI
    9800 Pro, but with worse image quality (what a shock going from ATI to
    Nvidia in that department). I'm using the latest DirectX, latest
    nforce drivers (169.xx), but only 1 GB DDR400 (CAS3) Crucial
    Technology sticks (single data rate) and older non-SATA hard drives
    (Western Digital 5,400 RPM 160GB). Could this be my problem?

    I just wanted to run last years games smoothly and thought this would
    be a significant upgrade that would allow me to do this. Is something
    possibly wrong with my video card? I ran Passmark Performance test
    which showed my system running on a par with other similar systems
    except one video test, which scored low. My 3dMark06 score is between
    4000-4200. Is this abnormally low? Any help or tips on how to get
    good speeds on the aforementioned games would be appreciated.

    joe

    Guest, Dec 30, 2007

  2. Guest

    deimos Guest

    Post your full system specs, something doesn't add up. The 7900GS is
    not the fastest 7900 series card, but you should get performance roughly
    twice as fast or more as your 9800. A 6600GT beat a 9800 in older DX9
    games. Check out Toms VGA charts for reference:

    http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=712&model2=722&chart=318

    Overall game scores are a better indicator than one specific test. As
    you can see, a few 7800's can still beat the 7900GS handily, and
    definitely the 7900GT. The 7950/GX2 was widely considered the pinnacle
    of the 7xxx series.

    What really concerns me is your image quality comments. Ever since the
    GF6 and 7 series, NVIDIA cards provide IDENTICAL image quality to their
    current competitors. Take a 1950 Pro for example matched up against a
    7900GT; aside from minor differences, IQ should be absolute REFERENCE
    quality. In fact both companies match their IQ to Microsoft's reference
    rasterizer. Small differences occur in gamma, antialiasing, and texture
    filtering distances, but mostly just gamma correction.

    If yours doesn't, then that should be a red light for a defective card,
    badly configured set of drivers, or some misconfiguration (such as
    monitor color or ICM profile). If what you're saying is mostly
    subjective (as in preferred), then it really doesn't matter.

    deimos, Dec 30, 2007

  3. Guest

    First of One Guest

    You need to lay off those 2girls1cup videos...
    You need to have a realistic expectation of the 7900GS' performance. Just
    because the games were released last year, doesn't mean they will run well.
    The games you mentioned have particularly unoptimized engines. The best way
    to improve framerates, in fact, is to apply the latest patch for each game.

    NWN2 is slow if shadows are enabled:
    http://www.gamespot.com/features/6163248/p-2.html

    Gothic 3 is expected to be slow:
    http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/gothic3/player_review.html?id=502657
    Running one stick of RAM in single-channel mode incurs about 10% speed
    penalty. A slow hard disk makes load times longer, but shouldn't hurt
    framerates.

    Go into the nVidia control panel. I think a few mipmap and texture filtering
    sliders are by default set to max performance. Set them to max quality and
    image quality should be equal to ATi's.

    Make sure AA and AF are set to "application-controlled".
    3DMark 06 score is about right. Back in May 2006 my single Radeon X1900XT
    and A64 3200+ scored 4600 3DMarks.

    First of One, Dec 30, 2007
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Full system specs:

    Athlon64 X2 4200+ cpu

    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe (rev.1.02, latest 1805 BIOS)

    PNY Verto 7900GS 256MB video

    2x 512MB Crucial Technology DDR400 sticks running in single channel
    mode (motherboard won't allow them as Dual Channel)

    160 GB Western Digital, 5400 RPM EIDE HDD
    160 GB Seagate 7200 RPM EIDE HDD (I should switch my games directory
    over since it is slightly faster than the WD)

    Onboard Realtek ALC850 sound using the audio driver in the Nforce4
    chipset driver package (latest version)

    Nothing is overclocked.

    See anything amiss or that can reconfigured/optimized? Thanks for the
    help. btw.

    The image quality might be more of a preferebnce thing. I just feel
    the ATI felt "brighter" "warmer" than the Geforce. I felt the same
    thing years ago going from a Voodoo3 to a Geforce2, but after a while
    never noticed it.

    joe

    Guest, Dec 31, 2007
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    LOL.

    joe

    Guest, Dec 31, 2007
  6. Guest

    Mr.E Solved! Guest

    You imply you just upgraded to this set-up? None of those components are
    new, certainly not new enough to be considered a robust platform for
    "last years" games. In fact, you have to go out of your way to find an
    s939 board, new or used. So let's assume you got it 2nd hand.

    That said, that mobo is an nforce4 board, a robust choice that can
    actually handle today's games. I know, I use one. It is also designed to
    run dual channel RAM in dual channel mode. That you can't get your 2x512
    sticks running in dual channel is a serious problem, and a likely
    performance killer.

    Also, you say you are running the onboard realtek audio solution,
    another performance killer, you lose at least 10% of your top end by
    using that horrible chip. I also bet you are using the built in NIC,
    another dodgy and draining chip.

    Get your RAM working dual channel and at CAS2, like it should. Make sure
    you have the proper AMD X2 cool-n-quiet drivers loaded, make sure your
    BIOS is set just-so (i.e. for performance disabling everything you
    aren't using). Disable those awful onboard integrated solutions, get an
    X-fi, get an Intel 1000MT NIC, and you will assuredly see a remarkable
    difference.

    While you are at it, get 2x1024 for your system ram, 1G is inadequate
    for gaming and the IQ if nvidia cards today is indistinguishable from
    ati cards, once set properly. But, it must be set properly, install
    ntune for access to these settings. Get to work!

    Mr.E Solved!, Dec 31, 2007