Poor battery life for new Powerbook (7200 RPM)

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Jorl Shefner, Oct 30, 2005.

  1. Jorl Shefner

    Jorl Shefner Guest

    Just got one of the new 15" Powerbooks and it's fantastic, except
    that the battery life is a concern at the moment. I'd noticed that the
    estimated time remaining was around 1:30 when I first began using it,
    but I was hoping this was an error. Today I really tested it out and
    sure enough it shut down after 1 hour and 33 minutes. This was with the
    power settings configured for maximum battery life. I wasn't doing
    anything more intensive than surfing the web. I do have the 7200 RPM
    drive, so I hope this is not the cause of this.
    This is my first Mac laptop since a very old iBook (which still
    outlasts this one). I don't have much experience with laptops though,
    and I usually have used my iBook on AC power, so I'm somewhat clueless
    about this.

    I ran the CoconutBattery app and it showed that the battery capacity
    reached 96% of the optimal rated mAH capacity, so that much checks out.
    Should I be worried that I've got a defective battery, or is this
    something that may improve after the battery cycles a few times?

    What kind of experience are other people seeing with the new PBs?
    Aren't these rated for 5 hours?

    Thanks,

    J.S.

    Jorl Shefner, Oct 30, 2005

  2. Jorl Shefner

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    I got a new 17" with the 5400 drive. I'm getting about 4 or 5 hours on
    mine.

    dick
    -- the guestimate program has gotten as high as 7:22 but I left it on
    and came back in an hour and it had dropped to 3:54. Anyhow it seems to
    give more than 4 hours.

    Dick Sidbury, Oct 31, 2005

  3. Jorl Shefner

    Alice Faber Guest

    One thing to double-check is whether power-consuming things are turned
    on that you're not using. If you're not using a wireless connection,
    Airport should be turned off, to keep the Airport card from constantly
    searching for a connection. Likewise, if your laptop has bluetooth and
    you don't have any bluetooth devices, turn it off.

    Alice Faber, Oct 31, 2005
  4. Jorl Shefner

    James Meiss Guest

    And, I believe most importantly, that the screen brightness is not
    maximum. Keeping the screen bright takes up a lot of juice.

    James Meiss, Nov 3, 2005