    receive but can't send due to time-outs or rejected
    password. Trying to get through to Uverse tech support is an
    exercise in frustration)

    John Albert, Mar 2, 2012

  2. John Albert

    JF Mezei Guest

    You can always install Dovecot yourself. Apple uses that public domain
    software for the POP server.
    UVerse is also DSL. Just a more recent version of DSL (called VDSL2)

    Are you able to telnet <name of smtp server> 25 ?

    Are you using a SMTP server provided by AT&T or another provider ? AT&T
    would likly block port 25. You can usually use port 587 instead of port
    25 but you will liekly need to add suername/password to authenticate to
    the remote SMTP server.

    JF Mezei, Mar 2, 2012

  3. John Albert

    dorayme Guest

    All this changing of things is best explained by that you earthlings
    are *bored* and have no real work to do. So you plough your energies
    into making new OSs, talking about new OSs, must be new, everything
    must be new, no matter that the old is quite good enough to do lots of
    good work.

    dorayme, Mar 2, 2012
  4. Comcast, one of the biggest ISPs in the US, doesn't offer IMAP, and has
    not announced any plans to add it. So unless Apple knows something, I
    think it's unlikely they'll remove POP in the final version of Lion.

    Barry Margolin, Mar 2, 2012
  5. John Albert

    Bread Guest

    Yet another reason to keep your mail provider separate from your
    connectivity provider.

    I, too, would be pretty surprised to see Apple stop support for POP.
    Though, as I've said many times here, most folks really should move
    away from it now.

    Anyway, even if Apple stops supporting POP in Mail.app, there are
    plenty of third-party alternatives from Thunderbird to Postbox, and
    many of them integrate the built-in AddressBook just fine now.

    Bread, Mar 2, 2012
  6. John Albert

    Davoud Guest

    Bread:
    If only "most folks" would acknowledge that you are a good who knows
    what they should do, and not a mere mortal who really only knows what
    you should do, I'm sure they would obey.

    Davoud, Mar 2, 2012
  7. You mean it won't establish an account at all with a service that only
    offers POP?

    Apple has been pushing IMAP for quite a while. Recent versions of Mail
    make it difficult to set up POP with a service that also offers IMAP.

    From a consumer's perspective, AT&T has become truly horrible. I'm all
    for competition, but I must concede that AT&T was more consumer-friendly
    when it was a government-protected monopoly.

    Neill Massello, Mar 2, 2012
  8. John Albert

    Alan Browne Guest

    I hope POP remains. IMAP is a messy disaster with Gmail and my ISP's
    servers.

    A (quick) google on the issue doesn't show others raising the problem.
    Could it be with your system in some way?

    Alan Browne, Mar 2, 2012
  9. I wouldn't expect much public discussion of Mountain Lion -- aren't they
    all under NDA?

    Barry Margolin, Mar 2, 2012
  10. John Albert

    Alan Browne Guest

    About specifics I guess. But other stuff leaks as it did for Lion
    (changes to Finder for example, not sure if Apple "approved" that info
    going out.).

    Alan Browne, Mar 2, 2012
  11. John Albert

    John Young Guest

    How so? When I set up a new account the first thing on the second window
    is a drop down asking what kind of acc to set up. The first is Pop the
    second is IMAP. This is before I tell them what service I will be using.
    I use three. I have some Pop accounts and some IMAP.
    I'm running Lion 10.7.3 and Mail 5.2.
    Sooooooo If I don't change the drop down the default is POP!.
    I don't call this pushing IMAP but I might be missing something and I
    really don't have a horse in this race since I like the option of using
    both and do use both.

    John Young, Mar 3, 2012
  12. John Albert

    John Young Guest

    I acknowledge he is a good

    John Young, Mar 3, 2012
  13. John Albert

    John Albert Guest

    What you write may indeed be true, but I don't see too much
    changed in Mail -- OTHER THAN the fact that the POP option
    is completely gone.

    Why remove it (when it obviously was there and working in
    Lion's Mail.app), unless the removal was deliberate and
    intentional?

    John Albert, Mar 3, 2012
  14. John Albert

    John Albert Guest

    Neill wrote:
    "You mean it won't establish an account at all with a
    service that only offers POP?"

    Correct. No "POP option" there. Nothing.

    "Apple has been pushing IMAP for quite a while. Recent
    versions of Mail make it difficult to set up POP with a
    service that also offers IMAP."

    Looks to me like Apple has made the decision that if you
    want to use Mail, you'll HAVE TO use IMAP, whether you like
    it or not. As mentioned in another reply, at least one large
    ISP (Comcast) doesn't even offer IMAP. Where will that leave
    Apple/Comcast users?

    John Albert, Mar 3, 2012
  15. John Albert

    John Albert Guest

    Alan writes:
    "I hope POP remains. IMAP is a messy disaster with Gmail
    and my ISP's servers.
    A (quick) google on the issue doesn't show others raising
    the problem. Could it be with your system in some way?"

    I've have 2 other Macs here, running software that ranges
    from 10.3.9 to 10.7.3 (and in between). Each one has various
    partitions with different usable system boot options, and
    ALL of them are set up to run my mail via POP.

    The very first thing I noticed when I tried to set up
    Mountain Lion Mail was in the opening dialog (that you get
    when running the software from its "virgin" state), there is
    no choice between "POP" or "IMAP". IMAP is all there is. I
    kept thinking I was doing something wrong. If the option for
    POP is in fact there, I can't find it.

    John Albert, Mar 3, 2012
  16. To get that pop-up menu in the second pane of Mail's Add Account
    procedure, you need to omit the password in the first pane. Otherwise,
    Mail will look for a responsive IMAP server and, if it finds one, will
    omit the pop-up in the next pane. I'll grant you that leaving the
    password field empty isn't a very "difficult" work-around, but the
    standard procedure is hiding the POP option from the typical user who
    just follows directions. This is all done to make setup as simple as
    possible, but it clearly prefers IMAP -- in a way that I consider
    somewhat pushy.

    Neill Massello, Mar 3, 2012
  17. John Albert

    JF Mezei Guest

    OK, so the discussion is about a POP client. From reading the OP I
    though he/she was referring to the POP server on OSX.

    If Apple is moving in the direction of IMAP, it might have something to
    do with iCoud.

    POP is architecturally icompatible with cloud services because it wants
    local storage of a copy of the email. It is much harder to propagae some
    emails to all yur devices if they are stored on a computer and not on
    the iCloud.

    JF Mezei, Mar 3, 2012
  18. Looks to me that this is a first developer preview, and is not feature
    complete. Just because POP is missing from this release doesn't mean that
    it won't be in the final version.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 3, 2012
  19. Well, I included the password in the first pane, and Mail found a POP
    server, and said it would use it.

    Omitting the password, I got the popup menu, listing POP, IMAP, Exchange,
    and IMAP Exchange as the server types. But before I got that, I got an
    alert saying to check the data.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 3, 2012
  20. John Albert

    Bread Guest

    I'm not sure they're "pushing IMAP" but they have, in my opinion, while
    trying to make setting up your mail account easy, dumbed it down to a
    very annoying level.

    When you click the + to add an account now, it opens some sort of "add
    account wizard" which has you fill in your mail address and click "next
    step" and it tries to figure stuff out for you. I'd very much prefer
    the older method where such a microsoft-like wizard is an option and
    when you click the + button, it just sets up a mail account with blank
    content where you just go and fill in the settings you'd like.

    And Mail has pretty much always been horrible for setting up multiple
    mail "personalities" or available "from" addresses. The official
    method is to set up the account and then add the additional "from"
    addresses, separated by commas, on the e-mail address line in the
    settings. That's not obvious, and it's rather half-assed.

    Those quirks aside, for the most part, Mail has been getting better and
    better though I think I liked Mail under SL better than any other
    version Apple's shipped. And I've been using Postbox lately and like
    it even better.

    (And yes, Davoud, for most people, IMAP is better. Especially nowadays
    with people accessing their mail from multiple places such as
    smartphones and more than one computer, especially nowadays with
    generally faster net connections. And how often do we keep seeing the
    old "how do I get my old mail messages from program X to program Y?"
    pop up - it's just entirely moot with IMAP. There may be occasional
    circumstances where POP is still better, but there's absolutely nothing
    you can do with POP that you cannot do with IMAP - including preferring
    all mail to be stored locally. The reverse is simply not true.)

    Bread, Mar 3, 2012