  1. John Albert

    Tom Stiller Guest

    Using POP is not thinking different, it's thinking same old.

    Tom Stiller, Mar 4, 2012

  2. John Albert

    Alan Browne Guest

    I'm not a fan of replacing good enough with "better" that bestows no
    particular advantages to me.

    POP works fine for my home computer. When I converted Gmail to IMAP it
    was an unholy mess that took a while to clean up. With my ISP mail it
    was passable. Both have been reverted to POP. Both are available as
    webmail when needed on the road.

    I'm not convinced that there will not be POP with ML. Another poster
    also notes that there are 3rd party agents that will POP mail - I assume
    that to mean into Apple Mail.

    Alan Browne, Mar 4, 2012

  3. John Albert

    Alan Browne Guest

    Google has provided such an option for a few years.

    I trust Apple with my CC number, trusting it with other personal e-mail
    passwords would not cause me much concern.

    Alan Browne, Mar 4, 2012
  4. John Albert

    Bread Guest

    There are a lot of advantages.
    GMail's IMAP is very non-standard and doesn't work in the normal
    fashion with most standard IMAP clients. The guys over at TidBits have
    written extensively about what a mess GMail can be.
    Not sure what that means.
    Neither am I. People like to cry wolf.
    One method that certain mail providers allow is they give you an IMAP
    account and then, if you like, at their server level, they'll pull your
    POP mail from other mail places into the INBOX of your IMAP account
    there. It's actually rather nice and convenient if you're stuck with
    POP. The one I use will do that and even apply filters at the server
    level for you (so, for example, if you want the POP mail from each of
    the outside accounts going into some particular folder in under your
    IMAP, it can be done without having to rely on your mail client for
    that).

    My experience with Apple's MobileMe (and predecessor .mac) IMAP service
    is that it's flaky. I use a third party and do not rely on Apple OR my
    ISP for mail. Mail is too important to me to leave to folks for whom
    it's an add-on or afterthought.

    Bread, Mar 4, 2012
  5. John Albert

    John Young Guest

    [/QUOTE]

    Read the above. I have seen no push away from POP especially when in
    Apples current OS its the default, at least on my Lion. Quite a while
    led me to beleive....before ML. Thats what I was pointing out sometimes
    you have to read more then just the subject line.
    john

    John Young, Mar 4, 2012
  6. John Albert

    Alan Browne Guest

    Yes there are. Just not of any advantage to me. I maintain my own mail
    backups (annual volumes) on DVD. I don't have need for mails to be
    available from another source over the longer term (more than a few
    months). Though Google Mail seems "unfillable".
    I didn't know that. OTOH I have 0 issues with Google POP on 3 accounts.
    It functioned well w/o any particular issues nor advantages.
    I did something similar with Google popping hotmail for me. Turned that
    off as un-needed (don't use hotmail except as a throw-away for signing
    up to websites). But popped all that to my computer.
    I've had my current, main, ISP mail account for about 15 years. I've
    only had problems with it a few times in all those years. I have backup
    accounts (for travel) on gmail, yahoo and hotmail with Gmail being the
    preferred alternate. When I know I'll be out of touch for more than a
    few days I remind people of the gmail account as being the go-to.

    Alan Browne, Mar 4, 2012
  7. John Albert

    John Young Guest

    My point is when did the for quite a while come in. I would like to know
    not trying to argue a point.
    john

    John Young, Mar 4, 2012
  8. John Albert

    Wes Groleau Guest

    I suspect you would need to do more than that. Selecting either may
    make some attributes required and others irrelevant.

    Wes Groleau, Mar 4, 2012
  9. John Albert

    Wes Groleau Guest

    “To know what you prefer, instead of humbly saying
    Amen to what the world tells you you should prefer,
    is to have kept your soul alive.â€
    — Robert Louis Stevenson

    Wes Groleau, Mar 4, 2012
  10. John Albert

    Alan Browne Guest

    Time will tell. I can survive an IMAP only world, I'd just prefer to
    continue POP.

    Alan Browne, Mar 4, 2012
  11. One thing that I don't like about IMAP is that if I delete a message from
    one device, it deletes it from all of them. For instance, if I receive an
    email and read it on my iPad while away from home, and want to delete it
    from the iPad, but leave it on the computer at home so I can reply from
    there, I can't. Or, if I want to delete a message from the Mac, but leave
    it on the iPhone (because, for instance, it contains directions and a phone
    number that I do not want to put into my contacts list), I can't.

    With POP (and the right settings), I can.

    -- Michelle

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 4, 2012
  12. Only if you have your mail client set to delete from the server. I have
    my iPhone/iPad set not to delete from the server. So I never have the
    problem you describe. I delete messages from my iPhone/iPad all the
    time, and those messages remain on the server, and therefore remain on
    my main workstation, my Mac Pro.[/QUOTE]

    I don't have that option on either the iPad or the iPhone. When I delete a
    message in my me.com account, it creates a section in mail on the iMac
    called ME.COM, and creates a folder in that section called Deleted
    Messages. So yeah, the message is still there if I look for it, but it
    doesn't remain in the inbox as an unread message.

    Interestingly, if I delete the message on the iMac, it is deleted from the
    server immediately and from the iPad and iPhone completely.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 5, 2012
  13. I don't have one, and there aren't any available to me.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 5, 2012
  14. Sucks to be you then, I guess.[/QUOTE]

    Not at all; POP serves my needs perfectly.
    *nod*

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 5, 2012

  15. I think the problem is, you and the others that think IMAP is some evil plot
    to destroy your mail just aren't grabbing the concept. You are trying to
    make IMAP work like POP and just end up confusing yourself.

    When you make a statement like "if I delete a message from one device, it
    deletes it from all of them", you are saying you want to delete a message,
    then get pissed off it's deleted from all the devices.

    What you should do, like with your directions email, create a folder/mailbox
    on the server called directions or something, and just move the specific
    email into that folder/mailbox.

    It's out of your main mailbox, it's somewhere where all the imap clients can
    access it. Once you are done with it, then delete it where it gets gone for
    good.

    All you people treat your main INBOX like it's some magical thing you need
    to get organized when it should be treated just as a landing spot for new
    mail.

    I hope Apple decided to drop POP, it's a fucking horrid protocol that lost
    it's usefulness years ago.

    -bruce

    Bruce Esquibel, Mar 5, 2012
  16. John Albert

    Bread Guest

    "Your inbox is not your To Do list"
    --Randy Pausch (his excellent "Time Management" lecture)

    For Michelle's situation - mail comes in, she doesn't want it in her
    Inbox, but she also doesn't want to delete it because she's going to
    reply later -- there's no reason not to have a "to reply to later" box.
    Move the message there.

    I'm rather guilty, however, of violating Pausch's rule and leave stuff
    in my inbox until I've dealt with it. And unfortunately, as a result
    of this, if I don't deal with something for more than a couple of days,
    there are a hundred other things which have come in since and I may
    forget to deal with that first thing which may well be more important.

    I think I am going to set up a ToDealWithLater e-mail folder and see if
    it helps.

    Bread, Mar 5, 2012
  17. I can't speak for others, but I don't think that at all. I just think that
    IMAP doesn't offer *me* any advantages over POP.
    What I'm saying is that if I want to delete a message from one device, it
    doesn't necessarily mean that I want to delete it from any other devices.
    Why should I have to go to the trouble of creating a new folder and moving
    messages around just so that I can retain them on some devices, but not
    others?
    But it's still on the computer, where it doesn't need to be, and where I
    don't want it to be.
    You must have me confused with someone else. I have more than 30 rules to
    sort incoming messages out of the inbox upon arrival.
    I see. You don't like it, so nobody should be able to have it.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 5, 2012
  18. Not that I don't want it in my inbox; I don't want it in any folder or
    mailbox on that device. It's not that I want to reply to it later; it's
    that I want it to be on another device so I can access it later in a
    different physical location.

    -- Michelle

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 5, 2012
  19. While I'm not trying to convert you, I suspect IMAP would serve you well
    too, if you had that option.[/QUOTE]

    That may be true, but that's not incentive to change, even if I could. If
    it ain't broke, don't fix it.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 5, 2012
  20. John Albert

    Invid Fan Guest

    Some of us don't get enough mail for that to be an issue :) I do toss
    mail into folders, but only to archive them and in no way want them on
    my iPod or the server.
    A quick check shows my ISP only offers POP, so I'd lose all my email
    addresses. But, hey, so long as it makes you happy I don't mind.

    Invid Fan, Mar 5, 2012