    I came across someone recently who claimed to have reach the limit on
    Google Mail (7.5 GB IIRC), though someone else chipped in that for the
    nominal sum of 5 USD a year you can upgrade to 20 GB.

    Paul Sture, Mar 5, 2012

  2. John Albert

    Bread Guest

    That's *precisely* what IMAP is for.

    Bread, Mar 5, 2012

  3. That may be true, but that's not incentive to change, even if I could. If
    it ain't broke, don't fix it.[/QUOTE]

    I understand your point of view that pop ain't broke (from your user
    perspective). I think that some of the people who maintain pop
    servers would tell you it _is_ broke from their perspectives, and
    would like to have it "fixed" (that is, dropped in favor of imap,
    which is more flexible).

    This tends to be one of the things Apple does: drop stuff that they
    think should be dropped even when some users are still happily using
    it. It causes a lot of controversy, but often ends up having been the
    best decision.

    Doug Anderson, Mar 5, 2012
  4. So ignore the folder on the other devices. What's the big deal of it
    being accessible, if you never actually see it?

    Barry Margolin, Mar 5, 2012
  5. John Albert

    Patty Winter Guest

    I discovered that several months ago. I'd been working onsite at
    a client's offices a few days a week and then no longer needed to
    do so. I was going to copy all my messages from their email system
    onto DVDs and then put them on my iMac so I'd have access to old
    discussions at home, until their IT guy told me, "Just set up Mail
    from your home Mac to access your account on our IMAP server. You'll
    have instant access to all those messages." He was right. ;-) I can
    even create new folders as needed, or rearrange existing ones (such
    as moving old project messages into a "Past Projects" folder). When
    I do go in to that client, I see the same folders on my office Mac
    there.

    Patty

    Patty Winter, Mar 5, 2012
  6. So ignore the folder on the other devices. What's the big deal of it
    being accessible, if you never actually see it?[/QUOTE]

    Why is it so wrong to want something that's not needed to be deleted? I
    try not to be a pack rat, and empty the trash regularly.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 5, 2012
  7. I understand your point of view that pop ain't broke (from your user
    perspective). I think that some of the people who maintain pop
    servers would tell you it _is_ broke from their perspectives, and would
    like to have it "fixed" (that is, dropped in favor of imap, which is
    more flexible).[/QUOTE]

    If the mail service switches to IMAP, I'll switch to IMAP, or I'll find
    another mail service, whichever turns out to be easier and/or less
    expensive for me to do. But I can't see switching just for the sake of
    switching.

    -- Michelle

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 5, 2012
  8. That's pretty much the same sentiment being expressed by the
    ultra-religious assholes in America right now with regard to women's
    rights to birth control.[/QUOTE]

    I know, and I managed to refrain from making that analogy in my reply to
    him.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 5, 2012
  9. That's *precisely* what IMAP is for.[/QUOTE]

    While deleting it from all devices other than the one I want to access it
    from later?

    I can do that with POP right now. A message goes to my account, and it's
    downloaded to my iPad, iPhone, and iMac. I can keep it on the iPad even if
    it's deleted from the iPhone and iMac.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 5, 2012
  10. John Albert

    Guest Guest

    I see. You don't like it, so nobody should be able to have it.[/QUOTE]

    that's how apple works. if they don't think you need something, they
    remove it.

    Guest, Mar 5, 2012
  11. Why is it so wrong to want something that's not needed to be deleted? I
    try not to be a pack rat, and empty the trash regularly.[/QUOTE]

    But apparently you *do* want it, you just want to be selective about
    which devices you see it on.

    So put it in a folder, and only look at the folder one those devices.

    Barry Margolin, Mar 5, 2012
  12. that's how apple works. if they don't think you need something, they
    remove it.[/QUOTE]

    That's true. Consider how long PC's continued to come with floppy
    drives and serial ports after Apple stopped.

    Apple considers themselves a trendsetter.

    Barry Margolin, Mar 5, 2012
  13. Probably they are not dropping it. But if it is true that it isn't in
    the current developer version of ML (as was claimed on this thread)
    that constitutes _some_ indication, although far from a definitive
    one.

    Doug Anderson, Mar 5, 2012
  14. If the mail service switches to IMAP, I'll switch to IMAP, or I'll find
    another mail service, whichever turns out to be easier and/or less
    expensive for me to do. But I can't see switching just for the sake of
    switching.[/QUOTE]

    Agreed.

    Doug Anderson, Mar 5, 2012
  15. John Albert

    Alan Browne Guest

    The limit ticks upward faster than I use it. (Gmail is not my primary).
    It's now at 7686 MB (7.871 GB).

    I'm using much less than 1 GB.

    Alan Browne, Mar 5, 2012
  16. I found this in the macintouch forums discussions:

    "I read on another Mac forum that Apple Mail for Mountain Lion no
    longer provides support for the POP (Post Office Protocol) only IMAP
    (Internet Message Access Protocol)..."

    POP works fine in Mountain Lion DP1, either for a newly created
    account or from a carryover through OS upgrade. However, POP has been
    discontinued for mac.com and me.com accounts which must be changed to
    IMAP'

    And this:

    Mail apparently tries to figure out whether to use IMAP or POP by
    itself automagically. If it doesn't discover an IMAP server, it will
    try POP. If it doesn't discover either, it will bring up a screen
    with options. The simple way to force the issue is not to enter a
    password (since most mail servers require passwords now.... I would
    deeply question the continued use of one that doesn't). Once it fails
    to establish any account, then it will ask the user for all of the
    details.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 6, 2012
  17. But apparently you *do* want it, you just want to be selective about
    which devices you see it on.[/QUOTE]

    I want it on one device, and want to get rid of it on both of the other
    devices; what is so hard to understand about that?
    I don't want that folder cluttering up anything. It's not needed.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 6, 2012
  18. OK. I'm certainly not asserting that they _are_ dropping POP, and I
    agree that the absence of something from a developer release is not
    proof of anything.

    Doug Anderson, Mar 6, 2012
  19. John Albert

    Paul Sture Guest

    Thanks for that tip. I searched for the video and watched it.
    <http://t.co/h1sc2UXR>

    Paul Sture, Mar 6, 2012
  20. Heh- might pique it, too!

    Right now my .mac account won't do POP via Mail.....

    John McWilliams, Mar 6, 2012