    true, I take it that you will still upgrade and sing the praises ofr
    apple and not complain about something which you valued being taken away
    from you ?

    JF Mezei, Mar 6, 2012

  2. John Albert

    JF Mezei Guest

    Michelle, for scrolling didn't mind and don't undesrtand why others
    complained and told them to get used to the new way of srolling.

    The table has turned.

    Now Apple is (allegedly) telling you to stop using POP and change your
    ways which have worked well for you. Others don't undesrand why you
    don't just switch to IMAP. But you know that your routine depnends on
    using POP.

    I no longer use POP so its removal doesn't affect me. But I understand
    how you would/will feel when upgrading to a new version will require you
    change the ways to manage your emails and won't criticise you for
    complaining about it, or deciding to stay at whatever OS version you are at.

    Bear in mind that if Apple is moving POP support from OS-X, it is also
    likely to go from yoru iPhone.

    I hope that next time you see someone complain about changes Apple makes
    to OSX, you will have a better understand of how it can mess up one's
    use of computers when one does rely on a feature that is going away.

    JF Mezei, Mar 6, 2012

  3. John Albert

    Bread Guest

    An hour very well spent. I recommend it to lots of folks. Come to
    think of it, it's about time for me to watch it again. I'm in need of
    a refresher.

    Bread, Mar 6, 2012
  4. No, Apple isn't telling her (allegedly or not) to stop using POP.

    Maybe Apple _will_ tell her that at some point, but we don't know and
    they aren't telling it now.

    Take a chill pill.

    Doug Anderson, Mar 6, 2012
  5. John Albert

    Wes Groleau Guest

    That is clearly NOT the case with all of the ISPs that have chosen
    to NOT offer IMAP.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Nobody believes a theoretical analysis — except the guy who did it.
    Everybody believes an experimental analysis — except the guy who did it.
    — Unknown

    Wes Groleau, Mar 6, 2012
  6. You have me confused with someone else.
    No it hasn't.
    But Apple hasn't done that, regardless of the allegations.

    Their, and your, arguments are based on a false premise. POP is not gone
    from mail.app in Mountain Lion.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 6, 2012
  7. John Albert

    Wes Groleau Guest

    No, they are trying to avoid using IMAP
    because they know it doesn't work like POP

    Wes Groleau, Mar 6, 2012
  8. IF the rumours of Apple pulling support for POP in ML turn out to be
    true,[/QUOTE]

    If you have been keeping up, you would know that they're not true.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 6, 2012
  9. John Albert

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Michelle, Michelle,

    I know you think POP does exactly what you want and IMAP doesn't.

    But trust me--what you really want is to use IMAP with a couple of
    work-arounds so that it seems to do what you want if you don't look too
    close.

    Now, want some more Kool-aid?

    --
    Wes Groleau

    “It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it
    goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the
    world.â€
    — Thomas Jefferson

    Wes Groleau, Mar 6, 2012
  10. Oh, very yes! Perhaps not via Mail, but I used it via Thunderbird for
    some time, actually using both POP and IMAP for the same account for
    quite a while.

    John McWilliams, Mar 6, 2012
  11. Even AOL offers imap at this point. I suppose there must be hold-outs
    who are still in the pop-only days though.

    Doug Anderson, Mar 6, 2012
  12. But it is gone from Mail for .mac accounts now.

    John McWilliams, Mar 6, 2012
  13. John Albert

    Paul Sture Guest

    Patty, that's much the same reason that I went to IMAP. The other point
    you have there is of saving messages to DVD. If some future email app of
    your choice doesn't understand the format you saved messages on DVD, you
    might have a problem on your hands. If you saved those messages as text
    files you can still get at them through other means of course.

    I mentioned this a few weeks ago, but it's worth repeating that IMAP is a
    good way of getting messages out of an old mail system and into a new one.

    Paul Sture, Mar 6, 2012
  14. John Albert

    Paul Sture Guest

    More like an hour and a quarter. 1:16:22 to be precise (see, I've learnt
    something already :) )

    I did a pile of courses a couple of years ago, but time management wasn't
    one of them, so I welcomed this one.

    Thanks again for the recommendation.

    Paul Sture, Mar 6, 2012
  15. That's pretty much what I speculated a couple of days ago. I told the
    OP to try creating an account without filling in the PW.

    Barry Margolin, Mar 6, 2012
  16. But it is gone from Mail for .mac accounts now.[/QUOTE]

    It is gone from the mac.com and me.com servers, and mail.app recognizes
    that.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 6, 2012
  17. cox.net does not offer IMAP. GoDaddy offers it only with its most
    expensive email plan.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 6, 2012
  18. I know that POP does exactly what I want, because I'm using it to do
    exactly what I want. I think IMAP doesn't, based on everything I've read
    about it.
    *chuckle* I wrote the previous paragraph before I realized that you were
    not being serious. You almost got me.

    Make my Cool Aid grape flavored, please.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 6, 2012
  19. John Albert

    Patty Winter Guest

    But I was just going from Mail on a Power Mac at that client's to Mail
    on my iMac at home, so I'm sure it would have worked, even though my
    version of Mail at home is newer. I wasn't concerned about the future
    beyond a few hours. :)

    But just for kicks, I just opened a Eudora mailbox in TextEdit and
    it came in fine. Are there really some email programs that put in
    such odd formatting that a text editor can't read their files? (I
    realize that the text editor won't be able to make sense of binary
    attachments, but it should be able to read the actual messages, right?)

    Patty

    Patty Winter, Mar 6, 2012
  20. John Albert

    Jim Gibson Guest

    Microsoft Entourage, for one. I am forced to use it at work. It puts
    everything in a big file called "Database". My Database file is
    currently 5.78GB.

    Jim Gibson, Mar 6, 2012