Portable Plus

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Golfrock, Dec 14, 2006.

  1. Golfrock

    Golfrock Guest

    I just picked up a Portable Plus with 20MB hard drive. I opened it up
    and was astonished to find a clean machine! It is just beautiful.

    As I was using it, some keys began to malfunction. They were working
    and then just didn't. Upon taking the keyboard apart, I found that the
    foam between the key and the foil that made contact to the keyboard
    circuit board had basically lost its elasticity. I have begun the
    process of replacing this foam on all the keys. The stuff just
    crumbles. This will take some time.

    I was able to use the machine for a few days. It works great. There
    is a Space Invaders game on it. I put Pac-Man, Zaxxon and Defender.
    The joystick port works and the Pac-Man game runs fast. The game is
    older than the machine! Those games came from a website that has stuff
    going WAY back.

    I can't wait to finish repairing the keyboard so that I can continue
    working with this piece of history.

    Robert

    Golfrock, Dec 14, 2006

  2. Golfrock

    HH Guest

    The old Compaq "Luggables" were damned near bullet-proof. They were designed
    to withstand hard use for many years and were likely the most
    "over-engineered" computers ever built.

    HH

    HH, Dec 14, 2006

  3. Golfrock

    Golfrock Guest

    Does anyone have a source for downloading a diagnostic disk or drivers
    for the Compaq Plus?

    Thanks,
    Robert

    Golfrock, Dec 16, 2006