    capable of telling the difference between a voice call and a fax call?

    Thanks!!
    Dev

    Devon, May 22, 2004

  2. Devon

    Bob Blaylock Guest

    I would think that this would require specialized hardware.

    I have a device which does this. When a phone call comes in on my
    line, it answers. It continues to send bogus "ring" sound back to the
    caller while it listens for a few seconds for fax tones. If it detects
    fax tones, it then sends a ring signal to my fax modem, and routes the
    call thereto; otherwise, it similarly routes the call to my voice
    telephone and/or answering machine.

    The device that I have is the ASAP TF-300plus made by Command
    CoOmmunicatoions, Inc.

    Doing a Google search, I find that this company is still in business,
    and still making devices similar in purpose to this one. Their home
    page is at this URL...

    http://www.command-comm.com/

    ....and a page giving an overview of their fax-switching products is at
    this page URL:

    http://www.command-comm.com/fax_switch/fax_switch.html

    --
    I hate spam, but that isn't really part of my email
    address. Remove the string "HatesSpam" from this email

    Ever wonder what it'd be like to be a blood-sucking parasite?
    http://tinyurl.com/7wxk

    Bob Blaylock, May 22, 2004

  3. Devon

    Tom Stiller Guest

    In most areas you can get a second phone number assigned to your current
    line with a "distinctive ring" for about $4-5. The FAX software
    included as part of Panther can detect the distinctive ring and answer
    only calls directed to that number.

    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

    Tom Stiller, May 22, 2004
  4. How has this worked out for you? I just got one of these (different
    model, same manufacturer and operating scheme), but I need to adjust
    some of my phone wiring before I can install it. It sure sounds ideal,
    but since I've yet to put it into action I'm not sure how well it works
    in practice.

    Tom Harrington, May 22, 2004
  5. Devon

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Where is the control for this? I did not see it when I was setting up.

    I just set mine to answer after seven rings.
    Unfortunately, some fax machines give up before that.

    --
    Wes Groleau
    "Ideas are more powerful than guns,

    Wes Groleau, May 23, 2004
  6. Devon

    Tom Stiller Guest

    Get the whole story at
    <http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031111132356616>.

    Tom Stiller, May 23, 2004
  7. Devon

    Bob Blaylock Guest

    Mine works great. For the most part, its operating is entirely
    transparent and unobtrusive. If a fax call comes in, it gets routed to
    my fax modem, without otherwise disturbing me; otherwise, it goes to my
    telephone.

    Bob Blaylock, May 23, 2004
  8. Devon

    Bob Blaylock Guest

    The only catch is, since it actually picks up the line, whoever is
    calling gets charged for a connection even though they don't realize
    they've made one. That might annoy some people.[/QUOTE]

    There is that. If you make a call to my phone number, as far as the
    phone companies' system is concerned, the call was answered on the first
    ring. After that, my fax switch will sit there sending back bogus
    "ring" tones to the caller until something on my end answers the call.
    If the call is not answered, then this might very well leave the caller
    believing that the call didn't connect at all, and the caller might then
    be surprised--if this was a toll call--to find that he was charged for
    it.

    I don't see this as a major issue, in my case. I do have an answering
    machine on my system, which will take the call if nothing else does
    after a few rings. Very very few callers are so impatient that they
    will end the before the answering machine picks up, at which time the
    call would be expected to be treated by the phone company as completed,
    exactly the same as if the fax switch wasn't there.

    Bob Blaylock, May 23, 2004
  9. The only catch is, since it actually picks up the line, whoever is
    calling gets charged for a connection even though they don't realize
    they've made one. That might annoy some people.[/QUOTE]

    If it gets routed to an answering machine, that solves that problem.

    One question I have, though, is that if the machine detects a voice call
    and routes it to a telephone, do all the phones on the line ring, or
    does only one phone ring?

    Michelle Steiner, May 23, 2004
  10. If it gets routed to an answering machine, that solves that problem.

    One question I have, though, is that if the machine detects a voice call
    and routes it to a telephone, do all the phones on the line ring, or
    does only one phone ring?[/QUOTE]

    Well... this is why I haven't installed mine yet. These devices look
    sort of like modems, small electronic devices with phone jacks on the
    back. One goes to the incoming phone line, one goes to the fax machine,
    and one goes to a telephone.

    What happens then is that the incoming line is answered almost
    immediately, and the phone switch decides quickly whether it's a fax or
    a voice call. If it's a fax, it rings the fax machine on its line. If
    it's voice, it rings the telephone on its line. Other extensions don't
    even notice, because from there it looks like the phone's already been
    answered. However you can connect multiple phones to the phone switch,
    and get multiple voice phones to ring that way.

    Tom Harrington, May 23, 2004
  11. Devon

    Bob Blaylock Guest

    If it gets routed to an answering machine, that solves that problem.

    One question I have, though, is that if the machine detects a voice call
    and routes it to a telephone, do all the phones on the line ring, or
    does only one phone ring?[/QUOTE]

    In an ideal setup, all of the voice phones, answering machines, and
    such--anything involved in handling voice-based callers--would be fed
    from the "PHONE" output on this device. In that instance, once the
    device had determined that the incoming call was not a fax, all of the
    devices on the PHONE output would ring; and none of them would ring if
    it was a fax call.

    In my home, I have one telephone that is connected directly to the
    incoming phone line, rather than through the fax switch. This telephone
    will ring once, and only once, for any incoming call regardless of type.

    Bob Blaylock, May 23, 2004