Possible to transfer photos from iPhone to Mac without using iPhoto?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by paris2venice, Dec 17, 2011.

  1. paris2venice

    paris2venice Guest

    Is it possible to somehow transfer photos from my iPhone to my MBP
    without using iPhoto? While iPhoto may be great for others (don't
    mean to offend any iPhoto lovers), I just do not like it. In
    particular, I don't like how it wants to claim dominion over my entire
    photo library on my Mac. If that's no longer true, that's great but
    when I just used iPhoto again (for the first time in many years), it
    threatened:

    The photo library needs to be upgraded to
    work with this version of iPhoto.
    Your photo library will not be readable by previous
    versions of iPhoto after the upgrade. The upgrade
    process for very large libraries may take an hour
    or more to complete.

    Now maybe I'm misinterpreting that but it sounds like "an hour or
    more" means *more* than the completely empty "Pictures" folder in my
    home folder. Is there any other way to get photos off of my iPhone?
    Thanks!

    paris2venice, Dec 17, 2011

  2. paris2venice

    Guest Guest

    the iphone is seen as a digital camera, and you can whatever photo
    software you want that supports copying photos from a camera. i like
    lightroom but there are many, many others. iphoto is *not* required.

    Guest, Dec 17, 2011

  3. paris2venice

    paris2venice Guest

    Thanks! I should have known but someone at the Apple Store stated
    that iPhoto was necessary and I, amidst so much new info with my new
    iPhone, practiced my best lemming imitation. :)

    paris2venice, Dec 17, 2011
  4. paris2venice

    Ned Mantei Guest

    Just to add to that, the program Image Capture lets you set what happens
    when a camera is connected (I would hope also if the camera is an
    iPhone, but don't have one to check). I have my camera set for "auto
    import", which just imports the photos to a folder named "autoimport" in
    my Pictures folder.

    Ned

    Ned Mantei, Dec 17, 2011
  5. paris2venice

    Paul Sture Guest

    In that case, you can let iPhoto fire up in response to connecting the
    iPhone, then use other software such as Image Capture to access it.

    Paul Sture, Dec 17, 2011
  6. iPhoto is only going to upgrade your iPhoto library unless you tell it
    to do something else. If you have photos stored that are not part of
    the iPhoto library iPhoto will leave them alone unless you tell it to
    do otherwise.

    Doug Anderson, Dec 17, 2011
  7. paris2venice

    Howard Guest

    I use an app called PhotoToMac

    Howard, Dec 17, 2011
  8. paris2venice

    JF Mezei Guest

    YOu can use "preview". Once ou plug the ipHone in, the "File" menu will
    include an "import from iphone" and you can then specify which directory
    you want the photos to goto.

    JF Mezei, Dec 17, 2011
  9. YOu can use "preview". Once ou plug the ipHone in, the "File" menu will
    include an "import from iphone" and you can then specify which directory
    you want the photos to goto.[/QUOTE]

    So not counting third-party applications, we have at least three apps that
    can import iPhone and iPad photos into a Mac.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 17, 2011
  10. paris2venice

    M-M Guest

    I also use Image Capture which comes with MacOSX and just save the
    photos to a folder. You can set Image Capture to open automatically when
    the iPhone is connected

    M-M, Dec 18, 2011
  11. paris2venice

    Patty Winter Guest

    Thank you!!

    I, too, hate having to jump through hoops to find photos in the
    iPhoto library and then drag them to where I really want them.
    I just tried Preview and it let me import them to exactly where
    I wanted them.

    Patty

    Patty Winter, Dec 18, 2011
  12. So not counting third-party applications, we have at least three apps that
    can import iPhone and iPad photos into a Mac.[/QUOTE]

    Also if you have iCloud PhotoStream turned on on the Mac, new photos
    will appear in ~/Library/Application
    Support/iLifeAssetManagement/assets/sub/. You would need to have the
    most recent version of iPhoto to turn this on. But once it's on you
    wouldn't be obligated to use iPhoto to get at the photos.

    Tom Harrington, Dec 18, 2011
  13. paris2venice

    abentemaliyo

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    There are 2 simple ways:

    - Use iPhoto to import your photos/videos when your iPhone is connected to the Mac.
    - Use the "Image Transfert" app on your Mac to import your photos/videos from your iPhone to the Mac when your iPhone is connected to the Mac.

    And the 3rd way, works only for photos and iCloud. If your iPhone is connected to iCloud and Photo Stream activated, simply go to iPhoto, and your photos will be there (i.e. it only works with photos and not with videos).

    abentemaliyo, Oct 10, 2013
  14. [ deleted ]

    thorntongordon52, Oct 10, 2013
  15. [ deleted ]

    thorntongordon52, Oct 14, 2013
  16. paris2venice

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Barry OGrady, Oct 15, 2013
  17. <elided>

    Your sigslash is incorrect; it should be two hyphens followed by a space,
    followed by a carriage return.

    Michelle Steiner, Oct 15, 2013
  18. paris2venice

    Ant Guest

    Ditto. :)
    --
    "Individually, ants are stupid. Together, they're brilliant." --unknown
    | |o o| |

    Ant, Oct 16, 2013
  19. paris2venice

    billy Guest

    If one must be this anal, it only works when one is correct.

    The line terminator in Usenet articles, including the sig _delimiter_
    (aka dashes, cut-line, marker, or separator), is CR/LF.

    Duh!

    Billy Y..

    billy, Oct 16, 2013
  20. paris2venice

    Tom Stiller Guest

    Since Usenet articles are text messages the line terminator is
    determined by the receiving operation system. For unix systems that
    would be a 'newline', for native Mac systems that would be a 'return'
    and for that other system it would be what you suggest.

    Tom Stiller, Oct 16, 2013