    3. Don't bother TRASH IT
    4. Give it to charity

    Thank in advance for any recommendations.

    daniel, May 28, 2004

  2. Use it for data.
    Donate it to our school.

    Paul Landregan, May 28, 2004

  3. daniel

    Phil Weldon Guest

    Yes it would slow down your system to use the 4 Gbyte hard, rather than
    your new, larger ATA 133 hard drive for your system swapfile. Not because
    it is ATA 66, but because it is so small. A hard drive with a capacity of
    only 4 Gbytes will have a sustained data rate transfer an order of
    magnitude (10 X ) less than the bandwidth ATA66, so ATA 66 is no
    limitation. In fact, your ATA 133 hard drive is faster only because it is
    much larger, not because it is ATA 133 rather than ATA 66. A better use
    for your 4 Gbyte hard drive is to put it on another IDE channel and use it
    for data backup.

    --
    Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
    For communication,

    Phil Weldon, May 28, 2004
  4. daniel

    Adam Webb Guest

    back up disk....copy everything important too it, then take it out of pc and
    store it somewhere cool and dry, away from your pc, in another room/house
    even. Then, if anything happens like a storm, or fire (god forbid, and i
    dont wish it on ya) you still got your data somewhere.......

    Adam Webb, May 28, 2004
  5. daniel

    JTS Guest

    Don't trash it. You could always use it as a coaster, or make an ashtray
    out of it.

    JTS, May 28, 2004
  6. daniel

    borolad Guest

    Buy a drive caddy, using PQDI make a regular backup of your drive C:

    When the shit hits the fan put the 4BG into the £2:50UK caddy & 3 1/2
    minutes later you have a full re-install with all of your up to date
    stuff intact !

    BoroLad

    borolad, May 28, 2004
  7. daniel

    Phil Weldon Guest

    The caddy is a good idea, but it is probably better to leave the 4 Gbyte
    hard drive installed all the time on a channel other than the one the big,
    new, faster drive uses. For a personal system, the risk of loosing data
    because it wasn't backed up is much greater than loosing data because the
    back up wasn't kept at a different location. The less hassle it is to back
    up, the better the final results. A back up in a slightly risky location
    is better than no backup. Though a small LAN offers a good compromise.

    --
    Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
    For communication,
    replace "at" with the 'at sign'
    replace "mindjump" with "mindspring."
    replace "dot" with "."

    ..
    ..

    Phil Weldon, May 29, 2004
  8. daniel

    Phil Weldon Guest

    Phil Weldon, May 29, 2004
  9. daniel

    Phil Weldon Guest

    Having started with a 5 MEGABYTE hard drive, discarding a 4 Gbyte hard
    drive pains me; so I just keep them in a cardboard box b^) I had not
    thought of the ashtray idea, but what do you do with the platters?

    Phil Weldon, May 29, 2004
  10. daniel

    Robert Guest

    It only slows your system down if your using it as your main drive. If its
    slaved to ide 2, then only data transfer to and from it will not be as fast
    as between 2 ata100 etc.

    Robert, May 29, 2004
  11. daniel

    JTS Guest

    The idea just came to me. It has not been implemented yet. Like you, I
    store mine in a cardboard box :)

    JTS, May 29, 2004
  12. daniel

    Immuno Guest

    I had half a dozen 150-400 MB drives. I was considering turning them into
    book-ends..... They sat in a box for a couple of years - giving good service
    as a door-stop. Ultimately, the call of the trash can was just too
    irresistible.

    Pete

    Immuno, May 29, 2004
  13. daniel

    round_file Guest

    Dual boot. Set up a DOS drive for old games.

    Actually, I'd imagine it'll be so LOUD that you wouldn't want to mess
    with it.

    round_file, May 29, 2004
  14. daniel

    ~misfit~ Guest

    They have rather a nice ring to them and make good windchimes. However, the
    surfaces mark up a bit after a while.

    (The g/f is into tech-art/crafts).

    We just pulled apart a half-height 51/2" Maxtor 1.2GB SCSI drive. *Eight*
    platters! That thing is a marvel of engineering, so well-built it's not
    funny. It's a shame it was giving bad sectors or I'd still be running it in
    the P160 I had it in. It was slow but it gave me a perverse thrill (the best
    sort ;-) ) to know that the drive, when new, was worth more than my whole
    whizz-bang Athlon machine. I have the read/write head assembly on top of my
    monitor right now, 16 heads attached to a precision machined aluminium
    'thing'. The voice-coil magnets are wickedly powerful.
    The motor and the bearings on the actuator arm on the Maxtor are as smooth
    as silk, not bad for an 11 year old HDD that saw daily use for 10 of those
    years.
    I actually had an old (just a few MB) full-height HDD with 8" platters a
    couple of years back but at the time didn't own a Torx/Security screwdriver
    set to dismantle it other than taking the cover off. It used a stepper motor
    instead of a voice coil. I wish I hadn't binned it now. It (and a couple of
    others) came from a computer that was made up of about four or five
    interconnected boxes, each as big as a mini-tower. It was the original
    computer from the Auckland Zoo and was in working condition, I got it to a
    C:\> prompt. Of course, I pulled it apart to get the fans out. (Doh!!). Nice
    Pabst fans though. I wish I knew what it was now. Actually, maybe I'm better
    off not knowing, it would probably be worth a few bucks if I hadn't
    vandalised it. It probably ran off an 8086 or something. I think two of the
    'boxes' were just for housing the SCSI componentry.

    The first HDD I bought new, for an upgrade, was a Maxtor 1.7GB and, for the
    money I paid for it, I could get a 200GB drive now. Hell, I paid nearly $200
    to go from 4MB RAM to 8MB RAM on my old 486. (And that wasn't replacing the
    RAM, it was adding to it).

    ~misfit~, May 29, 2004
  15. daniel

    Phil Weldon Guest

    Heh! I paid $300 US to upgrade my Apple //e from 128 Kbytes to 256 Kbytes!
    I kept it useful for a long time, eventually installing a replacement for
    the CPU chip that multipled the CPU speed by 8 X (the chip was a hybrid and
    included an 8 MHz clock oscillator and a 16 Kbyte L1 cache, adding a 5 Mbyte
    hard drive (to add the hard drive, the original power supply was removed and
    replaced with a power supply/hard drive combo), a time of day/clock card
    (yes, it required and entire adapter card to get time of day/date), and a
    mouse adapter card (entire adapter card for a mouse!) At that point, $5000
    US down the road, it it would out perform the original IBM PC, but had no
    future; and the cost/performance ratio of PC compatibles swamped Apple's
    original MAC (not to mention the color display.)

    Phil Weldon, May 29, 2004
  16. daniel

    borolad Guest

    Used to pull em apart and use the magnet for ' wipe-ing ' DAT tapes
    years ago.

    Those same magnets are interesting presents for grandkid etc !

    BoroLad

    borolad, May 29, 2004
  17. daniel

    Thunderchief Guest

    Go on eBay, buy a Promise Fast Track ATA 66 (or ATA 100) PCI IDE card
    for about £5, then get another 1 (or 3) 4GB hard disks (do the
    resistor mod here >>> http://www.overclockers.com/tips101/
    flash the BIOS on the card, and run them in RAID 0,1, or 10. and you
    will have a 16 GB drive that will be as fast as ATA 133 (some people
    think a bit faster, not on peak speed though) if RAID 0 or 10 and put
    all your important data on there if ur using raid 1 or 10 so u will
    never lose it

    ==============

    Thunderchief, Jun 1, 2004
  18. daniel

    Erez Volach Guest

    Use it for temporary storage: mostly the kind of TMP folders windows is
    using for storing intermediate or "volatile" data (Temporary internet files,
    TMP and TEMP folders, either from windows folder- win, win98, winNT etc, or
    from [profiles]/user/local settings/temp folder. also you might use it to
    store photoshop's temp directory, if you use that program and large files.
    Just MOVE those system folders, (don't create them with the propername) so
    that windows OS knows about their transport.
    These would load off HD activity (and random seeks) and reduce
    fragmentation.
    About the swapfile - It would depend on your memory usage if one setup is
    faster than the other... but you can set a swapfile on BOTH! and experiment
    with sizes (some say leave a room for a memory dump on C: and set a large
    swapfile on next physical HD).
    If it's 7200 RPM, its sustained throughput may be not that far behind your
    ATA133 HD, so for large streaming data files loading into (or out of) RAM it
    would suffice. for smaller page swapping the ATA133 faster transfer rate
    will work better - especially in situations where date fits in HD's cache.
    A 5400 RPM HD would not be suitable for swapfile that much... both its seek
    times and throughput would be limiting factor

    Erez Volach, Jun 2, 2004
  19. daniel

    Phil Weldon Guest

    The small capicity of the 4 gbyte hard drive maes it unsuitable for a swap
    file. Sustained throughput for a small hard drive is always going to be
    much less than for a much larger, more (modern) hard drive. The basic
    limting factor for sustained throughput is always the number of bits that
    pass under the read head per time ineterval. The linear recording density
    of a 4 Gbyte hard drive is just too low to compete with newer hard drives.
    These newer hard drives have increased capacity because they have
    increasesd areal recording density, which includes increased linear
    recording density. If you need more information to be convinced, look up
    the specifications of any 4 Gbyte (or even 40 Gbyte hard drive and compare
    the sustained throughput with that of any 200 Gbyte hard drive. Given
    the same number of recording surfaces and rotational speed, a larger
    capacity hard drive will always have a higher sustained throughput. In the
    case of a 4 Gbyte hard drive vs. even a 40 Gbyte hard drive, the difference
    will be more than 200%.

    Phil Weldon, Jun 2, 2004
  20. daniel

    P2B Guest

    I recently sold a 520MB SCSI drive for $40!

    The buyer desperately needed it for his PBX, which could not support
    drives larger than 1GB, and had been searching for weeks - said he had
    at least 15 emails from people who "threw one out last week".

    I never throw out or dismantle working hardware - eventually someone
    needs it :)

    P2B

    P2B, Jun 3, 2004