Possibly an old AIW 9600XT question, but first time for me.

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Frank, Apr 11, 2007.

  1. Frank

    Frank Guest

    I have just recently tried using two monitors on my AIW 9600XT, the
    problem is I only get the background picture of my desktop on the
    second monitor. No icons, nothing else. Even when I run a program, the
    second monitor still only shows the background desktop picture. When I
    power up, the second monitor shows everything the first monitor shows
    until I get to the windows welcome screen, then it goes blank. Then
    after windows startup completes, just the background picture. I am a
    teacher. What I'm trying to do is use the second monitor for the class
    to see everything I'm doing on my PC so I don't have to explain
    everything. Is there something I'm missing? Maybe something in the
    card's software I'm not doing? I do not have the Catalyst Control
    Center software installed as I have read in this group that it's
    basically useless, unless it is required to do what I want, then I
    will attempt the install. I know ATI's software is nightmare to get
    everything running correctly, so the less changes the better. Thank
    you for your time with this problem.

    Frank

    Frank, Apr 11, 2007

  2. There is a lot that you are missing.

    There are [at least] three modes for dual monitors:

    -Clone mode [both monitors show the same thing]
    -Extended desktop [dual independent desktops]
    -Theatre mode [2nd monitor displays video playback full screen]

    Clone mode is the least sophisticated of the 3 and isn't what dual
    monitors are normally used for ... in fact, clone mode is better
    implemented externally with a "VGA Splitter"

    You want clone mode, but your system is running in extended desktop
    mode. You should be able to change that with settings in display
    properties and/or the drivers.

    Barry Watzman, Apr 11, 2007

  3. Frank

    Frank Guest

    The only things pertaining to the monitors under Display Properties
    are two check boxes. One says 'Use this device as the primary monitor'
    and the other says 'Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor'. The
    only way I get anything out of the second monitor is with the 'Extend
    my Windows desktop onto this monitor' box checked. If I check the 'Use
    this device as the primary monitor', which is only available with the
    'Extend' box checked, then all my icons appear on the monitor I want
    to use as secondary and my regular monitor ends up with just the
    background picture. ... As I stated previously, I do not have Catalyst
    Control Certer installed ... Do I need to install it in order to get
    these 'modes' to show up?

    Frank

    Frank, Apr 11, 2007