possibly upgrading G450...a couple of questions first

Discussion in 'Matrox' started by Dragline, Oct 21, 2003.

  1. Dragline

    Dragline Guest

    I'll cover the basics first

    I have a Pentium 2.4C on the 800MHz bus, 512MB RAM. My hard drive is
    Western Digital's 10000 rpm Raptor. Needless to say I'm ecstatic with
    this system. The only possible weakness is my 32MB G450...that said,
    I'm not a gamer. Never have been, never will. So future proofing my
    system from that standpoint doesn't matter to me. The most intensive
    programs I use ( I think) would be Adobe Photoshop, occasionally Adobe
    Premier and Virtual Dub. I should also say I have a 19" monitor that I
    run at 1152x864 at 32 bit. I chose Matrox originally because only one
    thing matters to me in a video card, and that is image quality. I've
    considered buying a P650, but if it's not going to make a noticable
    difference given the way I use my computer I'd rather not spend the
    money.

    Sorry to ramble so much, but I wanted you to have as much info as
    possible. Thanks alot

    Dragline, Oct 21, 2003

  2. Dragline

    Tod Guest

    The Matrox P650 will give you a little bit better 2D, text will be a little
    bit sharper,
    but not enough in anyway to make it worth the money ($170 ?).

    Tod, Oct 21, 2003

  3. Dragline

    Arthur Hagen Guest

    And the couple of questions were?

    Arthur Hagen, Oct 21, 2003
  4. Dragline

    Lost Guest

    Considering what you do with your computer and that you're not a gamer, I
    don't see any reason for you to need to upgrade your video card. It's for
    games that you need to upgrade video-cards frequently, for most other uses
    they've got a fairly long life.

    Lost, Oct 21, 2003
  5. Dragline

    Andy Guest

    I am still using my G400MAX on its 3rd system. Like you no games just
    Photoshop/Coreldraw work and the G400 is fine for that.

    Unless you want 3D or DVD there is no point in upgrading. I did try a P650
    but found no noticeable difference at all and the new drivers for the P
    series are missing many of the shortcuts the G series had so I sent the
    P650 back.

    Only modification I have made is to remove the fan and put on a Zalmann
    passive heatsink to cut down the noise.

    Andy

    Andy, Oct 21, 2003
  6. I can see that you may need a P650 if ...

    1) You plan to get LCDs instead of CRTs.
    2) You need video overlay in resolutions higher than 1024x768.
    3) Plan to go dualhead and need symmetric dual head zoom.

    If none of these apply, then then G450 will do fine.

    Good luck,
    Steven

    Steven Whatley, Oct 22, 2003