Post code error 9F BOOT FAILURE

Discussion in 'Abit' started by obijohn, May 30, 2005.

  1. obijohn

    obijohn Guest

    My system will not boot anymore and I am getting a sequence as follows:

    83 - 96 - 9E (for a slit second)-9F
    on the post code definition display on the mobo.
    When it hits 9E it has shutdown and reads 9F when totally powered off.
    I have read on other newsgroups that the power supply might be at fault

    as it requires 400+ watts.

    System specs as follows:

    ABIT AG8-V MAINBOARD

    INTEL 530J PENTIUM 4 LGA775 WITH AKASA AK-954D COOLER

    2 X 512MB PC3200 (PC400) MAJOR ELIXIR DDR RAM (IN SLOTS 1+3)

    160GB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA HDD WITH COOLER

    MSI 256MB PCI-E ATI RX700 PRO GRAPHICS CARD

    17" CRT MONITOR

    XP HOME INC SP2

    400W PSU

    3 X CASE FANS

    Hope someone can shed some light....Thanks

    obijohn, May 30, 2005

  2. obijohn

    - HAL9000 Guest

    If you completely unplug the hard disk, disconnect all case fans,
    remove one memory stick, does it then boot any differently? Do you
    have an old graphics card (or borrow one) to try temporarily?

    A defective power supply is a likely possibility - they get warm and
    heat is electronic's prime enemy.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    < snip >

    - HAL9000, May 30, 2005

  3. obijohn

    obijohn Guest

    I have tried it with the hard disk unplugged and all case fans also the
    cd/rw and floppy.
    I haven't tried it with 1 memory stick yet and no I haven't got an old
    graphics card as it is pci express but will an old pci card do? I might
    be able to borrow one.

    Thanks

    John

    obijohn, May 30, 2005
  4. obijohn

    - HAL9000 Guest

    I haven't read the AG8-V manual specifically but one would expect most
    any pci graphics card to work in a pci slot. Might need to reset the
    bios though before the mobo will default to using it. Check the
    manual.

    Another thing you can try is to pull the power supply out of the case
    and, LOL, smell it. A strong "fried electronics" smell would be a
    give away.

    - HAL9000, May 31, 2005