POST failure Z690 AORUS Elite AX DDR5- help!

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by DrMikeinPDX, Nov 14, 2022.

  1. DrMikeinPDX

    DrMikeinPDX

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2022
    Hi Folks,

    Anyone want to offer some advice? I've built roughly a dozen PCs over the last 20 years, but I'm not an expert. This time I'm using a 12th Generation Gigabyte motherboard with a 13th Generation Intel Core i7 13700K. The exact motherboard is the Z690 AORUS ELITE AX, DDR5 revision 1.0.

    I've got the motherboard in the case with a 750 watt power supply all hooked up. There are two sticks of 16 GB AORUS DDR5 5200 RAM installed in the second and fourth slots from the CPU.

    When I turn on the power, there is a flash of light from some LEDs on the underside of the motherboard and all the fans start running at full speed.

    The diagnostic LEDs on the motherboard switch slowly from CPU to DRAM for over a minute, then the motherboard switches off and switches back on. I'm not sure how long it would keep doing this loop. Probably forever.

    Besides the RAM, the only thing plugged into the MOBO is an HDMI cable to my monitor, which is not receiving a signal. No drives of any kind. I've tried two sticks of Corsair DDR5 RAM as well with similar results. FWIW, I'm using an MSI water cooler plugged into a fan header labeled CPU_OPT. I also tried removing the MOBO battery to reset the BIOS to the default.

    It looks like I'm stuck now. Unless someone has a good Idea, I will try a different MOBO next.

    Thanks in advance!

    Mike

    DrMikeinPDX, Nov 14, 2022
  2. DrMikeinPDX

    DrMikeinPDX

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2022
    Looks like I solved this problem by updating the BIOS to the latest version. If you want to run a Gen 13 Intel processor, you need the F20 BIOS. I flashed the BIOS using a USB drive and pressed the Qflash Plus button. It takes about six minutes. I removed the CPU and RAM before flashing. Windows 11 installed with no problems. Now I am running into a new problem involving mechanical hard drives that is really strange. Will start a new thread for that one! Go check it out.

    DrMikeinPDX, Nov 21, 2022