POST Problems With Asus P4C 800

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Kevin MacKenzie, Nov 4, 2003.

  1. Hi Everyone,

    The following are the specs of a rig I built about 2 months ago

    Intel P4 2.4C with 800 FSB (not overclocked...........yet)
    ASUS P4C800 Mobo
    MSI Geforce FX 5600 Ultra 256 MB
    Seagate SATA-100 80 GB HD, 8 MB cache
    Using onboard sound/lan etc. for now

    I have the latest Bios updates obtained using the update software that
    comes with the ASUS mboard.

    On boot, I usually get one beep emitting from the mobo. Sometimes 2
    beeps. After POST, the machine just seems to hang. No indication
    that the OS is loading etc.

    After a ctrl-alt-del or hard reset, I will get an error message after
    POST telling me that there is an invalid overclock attempt, and asks
    me to check options in BIOS. If, after this ordeal, I
    ctrl-alt-delete, or go into BIOS and check all settings to default,
    everything loads fine. I get a single POST beep, and Windows XP will
    boot fine.

    Have any other owners of this particular mobo experienced this
    problem? Are there workaround? Or have I bought a lemon?

    Thanks

    Kevin MacKenzie, Nov 4, 2003

  2. Kevin MacKenzie

    crapbottom Guest

    The beeps (usually) are for connected devices, i.e. USB. I have two of these
    boards, so far, so good. Make sure that you connected your SATA to the
    correct connector (not the RAID), and that the boot devices are in the
    correct order. If you connect the HD to SATA1, then the first boot device is
    #3.

    crapbottom, Nov 5, 2003

  3. Sorry, Damn memory is failing.

    Mobo is a ASUS PcP800 Deluxe board. All other speacs are the same.
    Maybe should add that it has 1GB (2X512) Crucial 4200 DDR.

    Thanks for any help

    Kevin MacKenzie, Nov 5, 2003
  4. AH, thanks, that explains the beeps. It beeps once for my connected
    external zip drive. Used to have keyboard and mouse connected through
    usb, so that would explain why it would beep 3 times in the past.
    I've switched to PS/2 connectors, because I bought a KVM switch so I
    could still get some life out of my old machine.

    I have the boot devices config'ed the way I like em (check if cd in
    first, then boot from HD), I have the SATA in the right connector (ie.
    not RAID as you suggested). But, still I'm not sure about the
    overclocking error message I get after POST. I haven't messed with
    the settings in BIOS yet in terms of OC'ing or timing. Any ideas why
    this could be happening.

    Thanks "crapbottom"

    Kevin MacKenzie, Nov 5, 2003
  5. Kevin MacKenzie