POST problems

Discussion in 'Abit' started by galum, Sep 8, 2010.

  1. galum

    galum

    Hi

    I have an abit IP35 Pro motherboard and the computer has been working fine for the last couple of years. On the weekend it failed to start - would go to the Abit splash screen and then hang. Eventually it wouldnt even power on.

    I replaced the PSU and got back to the same point where it would get to Abit splash screen and hang. Pressing DEL or TAB made no difference.

    I then tried reseting the CMOS jumper and had some success - next time i powered up i got to the boot screen where it asks me to press F1 to continue or DEL to enter set up.

    There is a message at the bottom of the screen saying CMOS checksum error - defaults loaded. If i press F1 i get into windows normally with no apparant issues. If i press DEL and go into BIOS settings if i change anything and save (such as failsafe mode) the computer restarts and hangs with a POST code of 4E. Which has a definition of;

    1. Program MTRR of M1 CPU
    2. Initialize L2 cache for P6 class CPU & program CPU with proper cacheable range
    3. Initialize the APIC for P6 class CPU
    4. On MP platform, adjust the cacheable range to smaller one in case the cacheable ranges between each CPU are not identical

    Looked on the net and it suggested with the checksum message the CMOS battery may have gone. Ok i replaced the battery today with a new one but no joy. I can use the computer if i reset the jumper but on restart i am back to square one.

    Can anyone offer any help or advice?

    Thanks
    Dave

    Last edited: Sep 8, 2010