1. This forum section is a read-only archive which contains old newsgroup posts. If you wish to post a query, please do so in one of our main forum sections (here). This way you will get a faster, better response from the members on Motherboard Point.

Power Adapters: 3-prong US to 3-prong UK?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by k9boy, Apr 15, 2006.

  1. k9boy

    k9boy Guest

    Hey everyone,

    Am I missing something? I'm planning to bring my laptop from the US to
    the UK and I was looking for a power adapter for it. The laptop (Dell
    Latitude D600) power brick handles the necessary voltage and Hz, so all
    I need is the adapter part.

    Herein lies the problem. I've been searching everywhere (over 10 local
    NYC electronic stores!) for an adapter that takes my laptop's 3-prong
    US plug and changes it into a 3-prong UK plug. Initially, I just wanted
    the US-to-UK plug and that's it. But I can't find single plugs
    anywhere, so I'm willing to cave for a whole adapter kit. But I keep
    finding these 2-prong US to 3-prong UK plugs in these kits (example:
    ). So, am I missing something? Am I correct that it's unsafe to plug
    the two prongs (avoiding the ground prong) into these 2-US to 3-UK

    I'd buy something online, but it probably won't get here in time.
    Besides, most websites hide the input side of the adapter in the
    pictures and doesn't describe whether it takes a 3-prong plug.

    So, for those who know better than I do, do they readily sell these
    adapters in the airport?
    k9boy, Apr 15, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. k9boy

    Ian Singer Guest

    Yes they do or go to Radio Shack and pay too much for it.

    Ian Singer


    See my homepage at http://www.iansinger.com
    All genealogy is stored in TMG from http://www.whollygenes.com
    Charts and searching using TNG from http://www.tngsitebuilding.com
    Join the mailing list with msg to
    & in body subscribe <password>
    I am near Toronto Canada, can I tell where you are from your reply?
    Ian Singer, Apr 15, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. k9boy

    Dave Guest

    RADIOSHACK is your friend!

    Thanks in Advance

    (Please reply back to this USENET group as E-Mail sent directly
    to my E-Mail address will NOT be seen by me)
    Dave, Apr 15, 2006
  4. k9boy

    My Name Guest

    You will find them more easily in the UK. Even in car boot sales,
    going for peanuts.

    After all, the UK is where they are needed. There is no need (and
    hence little market) for them in the USA.
    My Name, Apr 15, 2006
  5. k9boy

    MrB Guest

    I went throught the same thing on a recent trip to Australia. The adapters
    are readily available in the airports and elsewhere at your destination.
    MrB, Apr 15, 2006
  6. k9boy

    Woody Guest

    As was mentioned they are readily available in the UK. Radio Shack part
    number is 980-0608.
    Woody, Apr 16, 2006
  7. k9boy

    k9boy Guest

    Thanks for everyone's responses. I checked a few radioshacks and they
    didn't have any. But you're all right, they have plenty at the airports
    on both sides of the pond ($7.50+tax in US, 4 pounds in London). Thanks

    *Posting from UK with laptop + travel adapter :)*
    k9boy, Apr 18, 2006
  8. k9boy

    My Name Guest

    1 pound for two in Kilburn High Road (London). Similar deals probably
    available elsewhere
    My Name, Apr 24, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.