1. This forum section is a read-only archive which contains old newsgroup posts. If you wish to post a query, please do so in one of our main forum sections (here). This way you will get a faster, better response from the members on Motherboard Point.

power capacity planning question

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Paul Cho, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Paul Cho

Paul Cho Guest

I have a new project of deploying two server infrastructure and help on thepower requirement would be appreciated.

I have to deploy two racks as follows and I am wondering if getting a 250V 30A NEMA L6-30P electric receptacles for each rack should be enough for therack configurations below. Total Ampere does not exceed 30A however, I am worried about power surge when system starts up and of course I plan on powering the equipment one by one. What's the field experience on the power requirement?

Thanks.

-Paul

rack config1
    7 x D1000 storage array(100-240VAC, 2.6A, 260W)
    1 x V480 server(100-240VAC, 8.6A)
    total: 26.8A

rack config2
    5 x A5200 storage array(100-120VAC, 6.6A or 200-240, 3.3A 650W)
    1 x V480 server(100-240VAC, 8.6A)
    total: 25.1A.

Paul Cho, Jan 12, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. You are seriously pushing circuit limits.

U.S. "National Electorial Code" standards limit you to a continuous load of
    80% of rated circuit capacity for a circuit with 'plug in' devices.

You will -definitely- have to 'stage' the storage arrays. Per Sun, peak load
    (start-up) for *one* D1000 is _22A_. This could also make for serious issues
    powering up units 6 and 7 in rack 1.

Sun's specs for a rack of _six_ A5200s lists the 240v requirements as "2x24A",
    which I would take to mean two '30 amp' (at 80% loading) circuits.

A final consideration -- to get the -full- benefit of the dual/redundant
    power supplies in the gear, you need to have the power-supplies on -different-
    circuits.

It looks to me like you need -two- '30A' circuits for each rack.

Robert Bonomi, Jan 26, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Does the OP not have qualified electricians where he lives? If not, at least
    have the fire department on standby when you power up your supernova.

Fritz Wuehler, Jan 26, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question