    stock of 8-pin connectors?????)

    Thanks for the help,
    Ken K

    Ken, Sep 20, 2008

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    I should perhaps add that I have a Q6600 Core2 quad processor.

    Ken, Sep 20, 2008

  3. Ken

    Paul Guest

    8 pins would be needed, if the processor being used needed more than 130W.
    (That works out to about 6 amps per yellow wire, assuming 90% Vcore efficiency.)
    You can check the "TDP" rating of the processor, to get some idea what
    it uses. Q6600 come in 95W and 105W, and if overclocked, the processor could
    use more power.

    The MiniFit Jr connector series, has a whole lot of documents with good info
    in them. I selected a couple at random, to show that the current rating of
    the connector, is a function of the size of the connector, as well as the
    wire gauge used. The 6 amp limit, handles the case where the manufacturer
    used thin wires. It is possible the connector would be safe to 8 amps,
    if some good wire was used.

    http://www.molex.com/catalog/pdf/5566VW.PDF
    http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/ps/PS-5557-011.pdf

    Since we very seldom hear of burnt connectors these days, the
    rules must be conservative enough for most situations.

    In thinking about this question, something else occurred to me.
    AMD is making processors that draw up to 140W, and Asus has
    made motherboards that claim to support them. And the motherboard
    uses a 2x2 connector :) So much for rules of thumb. I guess in
    that case, they're assuming the connector pins are good for
    more than 6 amps each.

    http://event.asus.com/mb/140w/

    Phenom 9950, 140W.
    http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=447

    Even Intel can make a piggish processor, but this is LGA771, so you
    won't see this particular one in a desktop :)

    Xeon X5492 LGA771 150W
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLBBD

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 20, 2008