Power consumption of Dell Inspiron 570 and 580

Discussion in 'Dell' started by BluntChisel, Feb 4, 2011.

  1. BluntChisel

    BluntChisel Guest

    I'm thinking of buying an Inspiron 570 or 580, for general software
    development. I'd also like it to be able to play 1080p video with a bit of
    CPU power to spare.

    On the other hand, it will be switched on 24 hours a day, so power
    consumption is a major issue.

    Any thoughts on which of these models (Dimension 570 and 580) would be most
    suitable?

    http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/t...less_rec?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1
    http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/hom...80/pd.aspx?refid=inspiron-580&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1

    Wikipedia suggests that Core i3 CPUs generally use less power than Core i5
    CPUs.
    The advertising for the ATI RadeonT HD 5450 display adapter says that it has
    unusually low power consumption, but would a less powerful graphics adapter
    be adequate?

    Any guesses about how many watts one of these PCs might use when idle?

    I've currently got an 8-year-old Dimension 8250, which doesn't seem to have
    any power-saving features, and I reckon that uses at least 60W when idle.

    Thanks

    BluntChisel, Feb 4, 2011