Power Drains from USB 2.0 Port, Powerbook G4

Discussion in 'Apple' started by M-M, Jan 2, 2004.

  1. M-M

    M-M Guest

    I have a Zio Compact Flash reader that sometimes will not work on my
    Powerbook (12", 1 Gig) unless I reboot.

    I called Zio tech support and they said the longer the computer is
    awake, the more power gets drained from the USB port until there is not
    enough to mount the camera card. The solution is to reboot and that
    restores power.

    That sounds logical since it is indeed not mounting only when the
    computer has been on for a long time.

    My question is, is there another way to restore the power to the USB
    ports short of rebooting?

    tia,

    m-m

    M-M, Jan 2, 2004

  2. My theory is that the perhaps the Mac reduces power on the USB port to save
    energy.
    I found that running the System Profiler once the Zio is inserted wakes up
    the port sufficiently for the Zio to then be recognized. Youw will find the
    System Profiler program in the Utilies folder, or may launch it from the
    Apple menu under "About this Mac"

    Mark

    Mark G. Thomas, Jan 2, 2004