Power flush transmission?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Pat, Aug 10, 2004.

  1. Pat

    Pat Guest

    I was planning to have the transmission fluid changed in my Honda Accord
    (maybe do it myself). Out of curiosity I called the Honda dealer to find
    out how much they'd charge to do, and they said they could either just drain
    and replace it (for $55) - which doesn't replace all the old fluid since
    some remains trapped in the torque converter, etc, or they could do a
    "power flush" (for ($140 -ikes!) which would force new fluid throughout the
    whole system.

    The power flush sounds better but is pretty expensive. My other thought was
    to change it once, drive it for a short while (to circulate the new stuff
    through) and then change it again.

    But now I'm wondering whether all of this (power flush or double change) is
    really over kill and a normal change would be sufficient. Any opinions on
    this?

    Thanks,

    Pat

    Pat, Aug 10, 2004

  2. Pat

    Pat Guest

    Oops!!! - This got posted to the wrong newsgroup.

    Sorry about that. Please disregard!

    (Yes - I use a Windows PC - maybe that's my problem! ;^)

    Pat, Aug 10, 2004

  3. Pat

    Jason Guest

    I suggest that you subscribe to
    alt.autos.honda
    Post this problem in that newsgroup. This is a Macintosh computer related
    newsgroup.

    Jason, Aug 10, 2004
  4. Pat

    Pat Guest

    Ya, I know. - I posted here by mistake.

    Pat, Aug 10, 2004
  5. Pat

    Paul Sture Guest

    Apologies accepted...

    .... But it was still better than politics ;-)

    Paul Sture, Aug 10, 2004
  6. Pat

    Pat Guest

    do you have to power flush those also?... ;^)

    Pat, Aug 10, 2004
  7. Pat

    Bob Blaylock Guest

    That and you apparently drive a Honduh.

    --
    I hate spam, but that isn't really part of my email
    address. Remove the string "HatesSpam" from this email

    Ever wonder what it'd be like to be a blood-sucking parasite?
    http://tinyurl.com/7wxk

    Bob Blaylock, Aug 10, 2004
  8. Pat

    Pat Guest

    Pat, Aug 10, 2004
  9. Pat

    Don Bruder Guest

    Sounds to me like a slipped timing belt. I'm not sure if those Pontiacs
    are interference drives or not, but from what you describe, it sounds
    like they may be - That "tapocketa" noise you're hearing sounds
    frighteningly like the heads may be making contact with things they
    aren't supposed to...
    Well, antifreeze isn't a problem for most G5s, whether dual cam or
    single, unless they're in storage, in which case, the wrong type may
    lead to corrosion of your conformity, but that's not really all that
    serious. Coolant, on the other hand, should be a high quality mix of
    liquified hydrogen and liquified nitrogen (No more than 18%, though!
    Beyond that percentage, things get screwy) from a brand name maker with
    a good reputation.

    Don Bruder, Aug 10, 2004
  10. Amen to that! ;)

    Nick Landsberg, Aug 10, 2004