    power cord assists. Is this a known symptom? (It is unaccompanied by any
    sort of activity whatsoever on the machine or screen). Did something kill
    the motherboard or power supply or something?

    news.rcn.com, Nov 20, 2005

  2. news.rcn.com

    Jack Guest

    Eliminate the mouse as the problem first.
    Unplug the mouse and try to start up. If it starts, buy a new mouse.

    Jack

    Jack, Nov 20, 2005

  3. news.rcn.com

    news.rcn.com Guest

    No, disconnecting the mouse was the first thing I tried before posting: It
    does nothing whatsoever and the orange light keeps on even after the power
    plug is unplugged (until the caps discharge, then you hear a high pitched
    switching sound as if it is switching off finally and the process can
    re-start).

    Is there a service manual somewhere anyone can look up to see what this
    orange light means please? It must be an indicator of something?

    news.rcn.com, Nov 21, 2005
  4. news.rcn.com

    Smith Guest

    Disconnect externals (mouse, keyboard, etc). Then open up the case and
    disconnect everything (pci cards included) but the cpu, psu, video card and
    ram. See if it'll boot then.

    Smith, Nov 21, 2005
  5. news.rcn.com

    Bill Guest

    The amber light indicates a failed power supply or overload, with a voltage
    loss to the motherboard. If unplugging all drives does not solve the problem
    then the power supply needs to be replaced, if the problem clears with the
    drives unplugged then reconnect them one at a time to find which one is
    causing the problem.

    Bill, Nov 22, 2005
  6. news.rcn.com

    squeeze62

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    The amber light

    I too tried any and everything I could think of, then I unplugged the mouse and it worked as though nothing had ever been wrong! The Mouse is the issue, please, Gateways suck!

    squeeze62, Jun 19, 2009