Power Supplies and the P4P800

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Jim Davis Nature Photography, Apr 6, 2004.

  1. I just had to put in a new power supply. I bought a good quality one
    with a sensing fan in it. That's great, now I can monitor the fan
    speed. I was hoping as well to monitor the PS temp, but perhaps my PS
    can't do that.

    For temp monitoring I've got Case, CPU, and HD.

    For fans I've got the Case, CPU and PS.

    For interest and comments, here's what I've got for fans:

    Lower front standard case fan.

    Top front bay fan set of 3 small fans.

    Rear small case fan above slot area.

    Rear slot fan beside the video card.

    PS fan rear top.

    All front fans suck in.

    All rear fans blow out.

    Temps:

    P4 2.66 CPU: high of 52 while playing BFV.
    MB high of 42, room temp 70 F.
    HD high of 45.

    I used thermal CPU grease called Unic, removed dumb pad on the P4
    (changed MB) and have stock fan. After using the thermal Unic, my CPU
    temps went down 7 degrees or so.

    Motherboard Monitor 5 something, used the P4P800 setup.

    My setup rocks now with the Radeon 9800 Pro. This has it's own fan (no
    idea why I can't monitor that fan and it's temps also) and I have the
    slot fan beside it. It feels cool to the touch always.

    BTW, Raccoon cases and PSs suck, stay away.

    Does anyone know if I can monitor anything I'm not now on this system?
    PS temp? Video card fan or temp?

    I have an older Asus CUBX- E that came with an extra temp sensing
    diode probe. I used to use that on my video card. I wish there was
    somewhere I could use that on this MB. Forgive me, my owners manual is
    all Japanese, perhaps I'm missing something.

    Jim Davis Nature Photography, Apr 6, 2004

  2. Jim Davis Nature Photography

    Paul Guest

    There is a header on the board labelled TRPWR1. It is between PCI slots
    3 and 4, on the right hand side. If it is like other Asus boards, the
    TRPWR1 two pin header expects a 10K ohm NTC thermistor, with a beta
    of (maybe) 3435. Most likely, the sensor from your old system will plug
    in there.

    If you have an ohmmeter, the thermistor resistance as a function
    of temperature will look like the following table. This table
    is for a Radio Shack part which is no longer sold. If your probe
    wires ever get shorted, the resulting temperature reading will be
    higher than 110C in the table below.

    RS part# 271-110A
    10k +- 1% @ 25 deg C.
    Temperature degrees C versus resistance in K ohms

    -50c = 329.2k +35c = 6.941k
    -45c = 247.5k +40c = 5.862k
    -40c = 188.4k +45c = 4.912k
    -35c = 144.0k +50c = 4.161k