    of the power connectors for both computers?

    Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

    Conan Kelly

    Conan Kelly, Apr 16, 2006

  2. Conan Kelly

    S.Lewis Guest

    Conan,

    If one reads this link to ebay, you'll see both PA-6 and PA-9 AC adapters
    (not auto/air, mind you) list both the Inspiron 8100 & 8200 as compatible
    models. Check several of the listings to verify.

    http://tinyurl.com/fdjkv

    If that's the case, I'd imagine that they'd also share a common auto/air
    adapter though I'm not absolutely positive.

    Not sure if you've looked at other sites, but in case you haven't:

    http://www.batteryvalues.com/Dell-inspiron_8200-laptop-batteries-product-aac52h.aspx?gcid=c11058x009

    http://www.ebatts.com/dell_inspiron-8200_laptop_auto-adapters_part_dk-c52h.aspx

    (scroll down on the page at 4allmemory.com)

    http://www.4allmemory.com/index.cfm...acturer=Dell&Model=Inspiron 8200 (All Models)

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Apr 17, 2006

  3. Conan Kelly

    Tom Scales Guest

    Not sure I agree. My Inspiron 6000 and 9300 have the same connector. The
    6000 can use either, but the 9300 can only use the bigger one. It is
    possible that the 8100 can use either, but the 8200 cannot.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Apr 17, 2006
  4. I believe the 8100 uses the older 70 watt power supply and the 8200
    uses a 90 watt supply. The connector is almost exactly the same (the
    70 watt connector does not have a pretty colored stripe across the
    flat side, but the 90 watt one does). I use a 70 watt supply for my
    8200 at home and the original shipped 90 watt supply at work.

    The difference between the two (as far as I am concerned) is that when
    the 8200 is plugged into the 70 watt supply it runs at "battery" speed
    and when it powers up it tells you that the power supply is not the
    fully capable 90 watt supply and asks you if that is OK. This is no
    problem for me on a normal power up, but when resuming from a suspend,
    I don't think the keyboard or screen are alive quite yet (at least
    with the version of the BIOS I am running). So it becomes 4-second
    override time. I can live with it. If you can, then everything is
    OK, otherwise you will need to get a 90 watt supply.

    Of course if the 8100 uses the 90 watt supply and the 70 watt one was
    for an even earlier model, forget all I have said -- it should work
    perfectly and probably has the same part number....

    --Charles

    Charles Marslett, Apr 17, 2006
  5. Charles is exactly right. I had problems with the iGo universal power
    supply only letting the I8200 run at battery power, but just got a
    Kensignton Anywhere 120 watt unit and all works well with it. It allows use
    in car, plane or on AC.

    Thomas M. Goethe, Apr 17, 2006
  6. Conan Kelly

    george Guest

    I believe the Inspiron 8100 uses the PA-6 and I know my Inspiron 8200 uses
    the PA-9...the difference is the PA-9 is capable of putting out more
    current...your laptop will only try to draw as much current as it needs.
    What this means is you can use the PA-9 with either (the PA-6 with the 8100
    only).

    george, Apr 18, 2006