    trying to find out what I should change this to? Will anything above what I
    have work? How high should I go? What do I need for this setup?

    Thanks,

    Wingman, Jan 7, 2004

  2. Wingman

    h2so4 Guest

    I doubt that you need more than a 250W PSU for your system. Were I in your
    shoes I would look for a good quality 250 or 300W unit. A higher rated
    quality PSU would not be necessary for your computer and an unnecessary
    drain on your pocket.

    h2so4, Jan 7, 2004

  3. Wingman

    Leon Rowell Guest

    I am running a 300 watt power supply in my machine. I started out with a PIII
    500mhz and am now running a PIII 1.1ghz with 1 hard drive, 2 CD's, 3 case fans,
    CPU fan, plus the normal sound and graphics card. I do a lot of music stuff on it
    (cassettes to CD, LP's to CD, etc.) and some photo editing with Photoshop and I
    have never had a problem with it. (Knock on wood)

    Leon Rowell

    Leon Rowell, Jan 7, 2004
  4. Wingman

    Wes Newell Guest

    Take the fan and peel the label off to expose the bearings. Put a small
    drop of thin oil in it and rotate the fan until free. Re-assemble and
    test. This will fix most fans as the bearings just dry out.
    I'd buy a 550w el cheapo ($16 shipped) since they don't cost much more
    than a 250w. Then you'll have it if you decide to upgrade the MB/cpu. It
    never hurts to have a larger PS.

    Wes Newell, Jan 7, 2004
  5. Wingman

    TomG Guest

    Antec or Enermax are both good supplies. I run an Antec TruePower True480
    which has served me well.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 120,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Jan 7, 2004
  6. Wingman

    Ed Guest

    Im using a Powerman 235w with a PIII 1GHz, I have just bought a new
    Q-Technology 350w (they have a special offer if you buy a 300w version they
    will upgrade it to a 350w) needed to upgrade to AMD, just been reading that
    450w seems the norm for AMD now esp the new Barton. But Im sure this new PSU
    being a quality one should be ok.

    I will also be getting an Abit NF7-S 2.0 to replace this Abit SL6.

    So get the biggest you can afford for any future upgrades and buy a good
    quality PSU.

    Ed.

    Ed, Jan 14, 2004
  7. Wingman

    Ed Guest

    Here's some info worth reading before you buy a new PSU, esp if you buy one
    for the future..

    http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/default.asp

    Ed.

    Ed, Jan 14, 2004