    which connector type it has for the motherboard before purchase. I see
    that some motherboard require different plug types and wasn't sure if
    they come with different connectors.

    Hidden, Dec 13, 2013

  2. Hidden

    Paul Guest

    Hidden wrote:
    > When buying a power supply for a motherboard do you have to check
    > which connector type it has for the motherboard before purchase. I see
    > that some motherboard require different plug types and wasn't sure if
    > they come with different connectors.

    (Desktop) Boards have two power connectors.

    (Server motherboards have a great many power connectors,
    and are a bit confusing. Desktops are easy.)

    The most modern power supply, has a 20+4 connector. Typically,
    the PSU connector detaches into two pieces. The four pin piece
    is of no use by itself. The four pin piece has four
    different colored wires. The two portions are wrapped together
    so they can't get separated. The four pin section was added,
    to make room for more amperes of current. The four pin section
    does not add any new or different voltages. It is for this
    reason, that the four pin section doesn't always need to be
    connected. If the application doesn't need more amperes
    of current, it doesn't have to be plugged in.

    This site has pictures. Simply copy a link to a picture
    here, if you have a question.

    http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

    You can plug a 20 into a 24. You can plug a 24 into a 20.
    If the 24 does not detach, the four pin section could
    "hang over the end". More frequently, the 24 is a 20+4
    and it detaches to handle either kind of motherboard.
    A 20+4 can handle a 20 or a 24 motherboard.

    You can plug an old 20 pin PSU into a 24 pin motherboard, if:

    1) You're using one PCI Express video card only.
    A 6600 video card draws 4 amps from +12V on the main connector.
    Other cards draw less current on the single yellow wire
    of a 20 pin connector. The single yellow wire carries
    6 amps safely. So you can use a 6600 or lots of other
    video cards, without overwhelming the single yellow wire
    of a 20 pin PSU.

    2) If you have two 6600 video cards, that would be 8 amps,
    and too much for the single 6 amp (yellow) wire on the
    main connector. Now you really need a 20+4 or 24 PSU.

    And the funny thing is, even higher end video cards,
    draw less current from that single yellow wire. A
    high end card draws 2 amps. It is the mid-range cards,
    that don't have a PCI Express power connector on the end
    of the card, that draw 4A to 4.5A or so. Those
    are the dangerous ones, with respect to the poor
    yellow wire.

    So the 20 pin PSU is adequate for a 24 pin
    motherboard, as long as the loading on the motherboard
    doesn't exceed 6 amps.

    When you plug a 20 pin, into a 24 pin motherboard,
    match "pin 1 with pin 1". The shapes of the pins,
    help guide you to the correct insertion. Do not
    try to jam together, pins not intended to mate. If
    you use enough brute force, you may succeed in mating
    the wrong pins. Make sure the "latch" on one side
    of the connector, latches with the mate on the motherboard.
    That helps you at least get the right sides lined up.

    http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/20in24.jpg

    *******

    The ATX12V connector comes in two flavors. The
    2x2 was the first ATX12V. Some manufacturers insist
    on using 2x4 connectors. When the motherboard has
    a 2x4 connector, you can plug a 2x2 into it. If the
    motherboard is new, a sticker covers the four
    unused pins. That makes it easy to plug it in
    right. Like the other connector, mate the latches.
    The latch is there, to prevent thermal expansion
    from "ejecting" the connector. If the connector
    starts to eject itself, the pins get burned.

    On the power supply end, a power supply with a
    2x4, can detach. It can make two 2x2 connectors.
    The connectors in that case have two yellow wires
    and two black wires. If it has the two yellow wires,
    you know you've got the correct one for the
    motherboard ATX12V input. Do not use the four pin
    section from the main connector, in the hole for
    ATX12V. Doing so, will short together a few different
    PSU outputs, and make a bloody mess (burned stuff).

    The reason for the 2x4 connector, is for processors
    drawing more than 130W or so. For example, if you
    were working with LGA775 motherboard, bought a D 805
    processor, overclocked to 4GHz, that draws 200W.
    Now you need a 2x4 power supply, and a rating on
    that power supply, for the number of amps on the
    12V rail. For most users, they're not doing something
    quite that extreme. And in that situation, the 2x4
    connector is seldom needed to be completely filled.
    A 2x2 covers most reasonable situations. And then
    that sticker covering the other pins, can stay there.

    Reading the Playtool site, should help fill in anything
    I missed, with a few different words.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Dec 13, 2013

  3. Hidden

    Jack Guest

    On 12/12/2013 7:52 PM, Paul wrote:
> [...]

    > you know you've got the correct one for the
    > motherboard ATX12V input. Do not use the four pin
    > section from the main connector, in the hole for
    > ATX12V. Doing so, will short together a few different
    > PSU outputs, and make a bloody mess (burned stuff).
    >
    > The reason for the 2x4 connector, is for processors
    > drawing more than 130W or so. For example, if you
    > were working with LGA775 motherboard, bought a D 805
    > processor, overclocked to 4GHz, that draws 200W.
    > Now you need a 2x4 power supply, and a rating on
    > that power supply, for the number of amps on the
    > 12V rail. For most users, they're not doing something
    > quite that extreme. And in that situation, the 2x4
    > connector is seldom needed to be completely filled.
    > A 2x2 covers most reasonable situations. And then
    > that sticker covering the other pins, can stay there.
    >
    > Reading the Playtool site, should help fill in anything

    Paul thanks for the detailed response.

    Jack, Dec 14, 2013