    known to be in good working condition. I get no beep codes whatsoever from
    BIOS, so assume it's PSU, because the VGA has a beep code, I believe.

    Thanks,

    J McK, Apr 29, 2004

  2. J McK

    Tom Brown Guest

    PC Power & Cooling makes very high quality power supplies. Their 510
    ATX should work just fine with the S2460 MP mobo.

    http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/highperformance_
    d/turbocools/index_hp_atx.htm

    I am using a 475 ATX (older model) with a Tyan Tiger MP S2460 with 4
    SCSI drives, CRDOM, CDRW, digital tape, etc. No problems.

    Good luck! HTH

    --
    Tom Brown
    thombrown at san dot rr dot com

    Tom Brown, Apr 29, 2004

  3. J McK

    J McK Guest

    Sweet. Right now, I have a 450 ATX, no-name, putting out 35A on the 5v, and
    I thought it should work, but no luck. I have seen the board function on a
    power supply over at my friend's house, when I bought it, but he was
    re-using his supply for the s2466 he bought (Long story involving the wrong
    cpus and me snatching up this board for a STEAL)

    J McK, Apr 29, 2004
  4. J McK

    Miloman Guest

    I exchanged a 400w antec with a 550w enermax. The system froze with the 400w
    after a succesfull post.

    Try running your cpu's at 200mhz fsb (jumpers):if the rig runs, it's the
    psu....
    Paul.

    Miloman, Apr 29, 2004
  5. J McK

    Paul Murphy Guest

    The S2460 is VERY picky about PSUs (and memory - has to be registered DDR).
    I've had the best luck with an Enhance ENS-0246 PSU after my Enermax PSU had
    the dreaded ATX connector meltdown problem. If you're not sure what I'm
    referring to, have a search through the www.2cpu.com forum threads for it.
    I'm not sure if the S2466 NEEDS registered DDR so memory that works in that
    may NOT be suitable for the S2460 - best to check on Tyans approved memory
    list for the S2460. I know genuine Samsung works fine on mine.

    Finally, allow a few seconds from switch on until you give up and cut the
    power. It takes about 30 seconds from power on for mine to show the post
    screen because its checking my ECC Registered memory - one of the quirks
    with this board.

    Paul

    Paul Murphy, Apr 29, 2004
  6. J McK

    J McK Guest

    On that 200mhz FSB jumper note ... the motherboard markings and the manual
    indicate that two of the four jumpers move from 1-2 to 2-3 setting, while of
    the other two, only ONE is supposed to move from 2-3 to 1-2, and the other
    is supposed to stay at 2-3. Is this a typo, or is it correct that three of
    the jumpers move, while the fourth stays the same? If you've got the same
    board, you can look and see, maybe it's a misprint, but boy tha sounds weird
    that one of the pairs is supposed to be mixed while the other pair both
    change.

    Do these jumpers affect memory speed as well? As in, will PC2100 run at 200
    mhz as if it were PC1600, instead of the 266 mhz it is capable of? Not that
    it matters much, if it gets my system happy and shows me that I just need a
    new PSU.

    Thanks,
    Jon

    J McK, Apr 30, 2004
  7. J McK

    Miloman Guest

    You better check here (mind the revision-part):
    http://www.tyan.com/support/html/f_tg_mp.html
    As i remeber there was an issue with a misprint in the manual, so it's
    probably wise to get the latest version of the manual suiting your revision.

    I'm sitting in the garden rightnow, so can't check my rig..... maybe
    tomorrow.
    I assume it also affects the memory speed, but i'm not sure here. It might
    also depend on the SPD-info.
    Let us know the outcome!
    Paul.

    Miloman, Apr 30, 2004
  8. I can echo that the 2460 is VERY picky about PSUs.

    I have a 2460 that the PS gave up on. So I went to the local computer store
    and bought a brand-new 550 w PS with tons of room. The board wouldn't post.
    Traded it in on a different PSU that was 450 w and barely met the 5 volt
    requirements. Board posted with no problems. The PS that wouldn't post the
    2460 works just fine on my 2466.

    Moral of that story was not to give up on the 2460 because you tried a
    single (or maybe even 2 or 3) new PSUs. I never did get to the bottom of
    why a perfectly good PSU for a 2466 will not post a 2460.

    Kaptain Kludge, May 1, 2004
  9. J McK

    J McK Guest

    Moral of that story was not to give up on the 2460 because you tried a
    Well, I tried the board with the PSU that it was originally tested with.
    Known to be a good PSU, since I saw it POST with my own nine eyes before I
    bought it. It didn't POST. RMA, here I come.

    J McK, May 5, 2004
  10. J McK

    Paul Murphy Guest

    How do you know the PSU's capabilities didn't deteriorate with age since the
    first test? Just because the PSU still runs other boards, doesn't mean it'll
    still have enough get up & go to handle a Tyan S2460. PSUs that are getting
    on a bit sometimes deteriorate due to the effects of heat on their workings
    and can no longer output as much as they used to. What PSU make/model/power
    rating is it?

    Paul

    Paul Murphy, May 6, 2004
  11. J McK

    Dr Ratt Guest

    i've been using antec truepower 550watt psu - it died almost exactly 1 year
    old but comes with a 3yr warranty so i got a free replacement within a
    couple of days courier collecting defunct model
    this powers a radeon 9700pro, audigy, 3ware raid card, lan, 3 ata100 hdds,
    dvdrom & burner, 3 ram sticks 1280mb, 4 case fans & 4cpu fans (silverados)
    and 2 mp1600+ cpus
    the absolute best psus are supposed to be from pcpower & cooling - usa only
    though
    dr ratt

    Dr Ratt, Jun 6, 2004