Power supply or graphics card/driver problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Richmond, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. Richmond

    Richmond Guest

    Hi

    I'm experiencing problems with my new setup

    2500xp barton (not currently o/c) with retail h/s and fan
    sapphire 9600xt 128mb (ati driver 4.2)
    ABIT NF7 mobo (latest bios and drivers from ABIT's site)with on board
    sound
    2 x 256mb ddr3200 generic memory
    Windows XP sp1 + Direct X9b
    Orion 300w power supply (came with a £30 case so not very good i'd
    imagine)
    Tiscali's Sagem USB ADSL modem

    Max Payne 2, Call of Duty, Jedi academy all run fine but Halo causes
    the system to hard reset at the start of the game after the intro is
    over. The UT2004 demo causes the same problem upon loading. Certain
    web pages also cause the same hard resetting problem. Windows does not
    even recognize that the system has crashed each time so has suggested
    not automated fix.

    I have formatted both my hard drives and reinstalled windows xp with
    no affect. I have also tried the 3.9 and 4.1 versions of ATIs drivers,
    no affect.

    Several people have suggested the PSU may be the problem but other
    people have argued that if it was the PSU then any software that uses
    all the graphics/sound hardware (ie games) would result in a system
    reset which is not the case.

    THe hardware doctor software (version 2.70) provided by ABIT shows my
    case temperature is currently 33 degrees and CPU temperature is 48.5
    degrees. It does warn that my -12v runs at -13.26, could this be the
    problem and if so what do i do to fix it? HELP!

    Any help massively appreciated!

    Richmond, Mar 1, 2004

  2. Richmond

    DaveW Guest

    You have a cheap power supply with poor regulation if the 12V line measures
    13.26V. Yes, you DO need a better quality power supply before you
    permanently damage your computer's components.

    DaveW, Mar 2, 2004

  3. Richmond

    ray Guest

    xp resets its self on blue screens by default... my suggestion would
    be clear ur even logs n then fire up halo let the hard reset happen n
    then check ur event logs.. u should get an idea of whats ailling ur
    'puter from there... also u could try a grnl system utility like X-teq
    to dissable reboot on blue screen.. that way u get an idea of wht the
    actuall error is n look it up on the microsoft knowledgebase

    ray, Mar 2, 2004
  4. Richmond

    Riscyrich Guest

    Have you tried a lower AGP rate yet ?

    I'm not saying you should run it at a lower rate, but just check to
    see if it solves the problem.

    Reason being I used to get a similar problem with one of my Nvidia
    cards. It would run flawless at x2 but as soon as I put it in x4 mode
    it would fall over whenever you tried to run games. In the end it
    turned out that it was a compatibility problem between the card and
    motherboard and I was therefore forced to change the motherboard. This
    was of course after spending weeks trailing back and forth from the
    store getting them to test the memory, graphics card, motherboard etc
    etc etc.

    There are also a lot of AGP tweaks in the BIOS which can help,
    sideband addressing, memory bandwidth etc. Worth a shot...

    Hope this helps, I'm no expert, just experienced... :-D

    Riscyrich, Mar 2, 2004
  5. Richmond

    Richmond Guest

    Thanks but i've already tried that. I did notice however that my AGP
    voltage is 1.5v on the BIOS with no option to reduce to 0.8v (as
    suggested for x8 AGP). Switching to x4 makes no difference to my
    problem though :(

    Richmond, Mar 2, 2004
  6. Richmond

    Neb Guest