    Pugsley Guest

    If a card requirements say 400w will it work with a 375 psu? Is 25w
    that important?

    Pugsley, Aug 13, 2012

  2. Pugsley

    Le Forgeron Guest

    Le 13/08/2012 18:51, Pugsley nous fit lire :
    If the card alone states 400w, how are you to only have a missing 25w ?
    The CPU alone would use between 50 and 130W.
    Each spinning disk is about 10W on average, peak on activity might double.

    So, a 375 W PSU is already short of at least 100W.

    Would it boot ? Yes, because the graphic card does not need 400W for Bios.
    Would it start the OS ? probably.
    Would it allow you to use a wordprocessor ? maybe.
    Would it survive a bit of web surfing ? as long as no flash is around, sure.
    Will you be able to use the card in most game ? no, the security of the
    PSU will stop your computer, or if there is no security, you will
    destroy it.
    Could you use latest effects of the OS ? neither.

    Notice about overcharging a PSU: the bad thing that might happen is
    unregulated tensions (3.5V, 5V and 12V going to random values due to the
    high charge): you might kill more than the PSU.

    You know your computer, compute your need:

    http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

    Le Forgeron, Aug 13, 2012

  3. Pugsley

    Pugsley Guest

    Thanks. Didn't realize all that. So Should I get a 500W?

    Pugsley, Aug 13, 2012
  4. Pugsley

    Paul Guest

    The specification is a lie.

    The card does not use 400W for itself.

    That is an estimate for the entire computer.

    You can compute the real power requirements for yourself.
    Xbitlabs.com has done actual power measurements for cards,
    so we can get something closer to a correct value. There
    is an example here, of information for a 9800 GT video card.

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/msi-9800gt_5.html#sect0

    "83.2 watts (measured)"

    If xbitlabs.com doesn't have a power measurement (and, they've
    stopped doing them), then you use the estimated value from
    gpureview.com instead.

    http://www.gpureview.com/GeForce-9800-GT-card-575.html

    "105 watts (estimated)"

    If you add together the power requirements for each component
    in the computer, you can then determine whether the power
    supply is adequate or not. Say you have a 95W processor, some
    12W hard drives, a 50W motherboard. You can add them together,
    to get total power (95+12+12+50 + 83.2 = 252.2 watts).

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 13, 2012
  5. A couple of other review sites that actually measure the power consumption
    of video cards are:

    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/?p=1&pp=all&order=date&category=Video+Cards

    and this German review site that you can run through a translator, if
    necessary:

    http://ht4u.net/grafikkarten/

    Homer Jay Simpson, Aug 14, 2012