Power supply to Firewire drive THROUGH Adaptec PC card

Discussion in 'IBM' started by My father's son, Sep 7, 2004.

  1. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong with my firewire card?

    I have a ST Labs firewire card which seems identical to an Adaptec AFW1430.
    Both have a mysterious power socket along side the firewire sockets

    It works fine on a Mac where there is and ample power supply to the card and
    device on the other side of it

    But there isn't any power (or enough power) with a PC. So I found from the
    company produicing the drive (CalDrives) that I need 5 volts 2 amps to power
    it properly. I tried various 'almost' power supplies and found that they
    arent kidding: It needs 5 volts exactly and 2 amps or more. Eventually I
    found one and it does light up and spin and powers properly.

    Unfortunately although the PC card is seen by the computer (windows 2000),
    the drive isn't. So I am wondering if I need to power the mysterious power
    socket in the firewire PC card itself. Adaptec says that their card needs 12
    volts, 1.5 amps to power that socket although they arent sure when it is
    needed.

    Does anyone know whether the drive will work and be seen by the OS if I
    connect such a slightly esoteric power supply to the PC card and/or whether
    I need to power the hard drive as well? Or does something in the card
    convert the 12 volts 1.5 amps to 5 volts 2 amps to power the card? (as if it
    were in the Mac in which the PC slot presumably HAS the capacity to put out
    the 5 volts 2 amps?)

    "Brothers and SIsters Have I None
    But That Man's Father is My Father's son"

    My father's son, Sep 7, 2004