    I'm keen to find out how they compare in terms of raw processing power,
    graphics, display, battery life etc.

    Thank you in advance!

    Leigh Williams, Oct 23, 2005

  2. It is not about raw power, it is about software. If you are planning to
    use Windows software, you have to get the P-M. If you want to use MacOSX
    and its software, go for the powerbook. Linux can be used on both
    systems, but applications are much more "compatible" with the intel one.

    Performance is also a question of software. There is software that has
    been optimized for use with one or the other platform. Photoshop for
    example has traditionally been a strong point for Apple. OTOH, if we are
    talking about raw arithmetic processing power, the P-M is vastly
    superior to the G4.

    Display cannot be comparable since P-M models are sold by many
    manufacturers, many using different types of screens. Same goes for
    battery: My T42 gets up to 7 hrs, a different P-M laptop will get 3 at
    max. In general, I believe pbooks have about 4-4.5 hrs battery.

    Graphics is irrelevant to the CPU, but note that if you go intel you
    have a vast selection of graphics cards, while on pbook you have to
    choose whatever Apple has on it.

    Basically, it all comes down to this: If you want MacOSX get the apple,
    if you don't get the P-M. Can't get any simpler than that :)

    If you want my personal opinion, every time I had the same dilemma I
    went Intel, and specifically IBM (now Lenovo) Thinkpads. They have
    better build quality than the Apples, excellent warranty, are very
    Linux-friendly and last a long long time.

    Stavros

    Stavros Christoforou, Oct 24, 2005

  3. I second that. Two years ago I was deciding between the two systems. I
    generally only use microsoft office and adobe photoshop, so system was not
    such much of an issue. At the time OSX was quite new, and so was the
    aluminium powerbook. I based my decision on MacOS9.1 and the TiBook - and
    decided that in actual fact Windows XP was more reliable and easier to use
    (partly because I was used to windows anyway). The TiBook also had several
    problems, which I think are absent from the AlBook, and OSX is, according to
    friends who use it, an excellent platform. I went for an IBM T40 with
    1.3GHz Centrino processor, and was very happy with the choice - they are
    built extremely well, and has been very reliable with no major problems (the
    optical drive made a funny noise at one point, for which IBM replaced it
    straight away), it's still covered by warranty for another year (ussually an
    option with apple), and is still working fine.

    If you're going to go Windows, then IBM/Lenovo is the standard (look at new
    Z series).

    Duncan.

    Duncan J Murray, Oct 26, 2005
  4. Cheers guys! Got my self a sleek 12inch powerbook today! Might have to
    chuck in some more RAM though :)

    Leigh Williams, Nov 3, 2005
  5. Leigh Williams

    ikenfixit Guest

    Theyre supposed to be manning an intel based system that can actuall
    run Windows also.. (Need to se this puppy/powerhog).. I Like I-book
    always have as the machines are excellent!

    Best in CS, Best in quality, Best in performance...Just m
    opinion..

    ikenfixit, Nov 4, 2005