    server is fitted with one 500 Mhz processor and 256Mb RAM.

    Any ideas please.

    Bruce.

    Bruce Varney, Oct 14, 2007

  2. Bruce Varney

    Bruce Varney Guest

    Forget to mention that the server has the latest Bios version. Also when I
    updated the ESM I noticed that both fans stopped for about a minute then
    restarted.

    Today I tried updating the bios again with the same version, this had no
    effect and I tried updated the ESM again with the same version, again no
    effect, the fans are still running at full speed.

    Bruce.

    Bruce Varney, Oct 15, 2007
  3. Bruce Varney

    Jay B Guest

    why not go back to a prior version?
    also try cleaning out the dust from inside the computer.

    Jay B, Oct 15, 2007
  4. Bruce Varney

    Bruce Varney Guest

    Prior versions of ESM & Bios as far as I can see are not available on the
    Dell web site and there are no dust bunnies living inside the server!

    Bruce Varney, Oct 15, 2007
  5. Bruce Varney

    Jay B Guest

    look for a new chipset driver on the dell website for your machine,
    because if they issued a new bios, then updating the chipset will fix
    your problem.

    this is one of the reasons why i tell me customers if it aint broke,
    dont fix it. i usually dont update bioses unless i'm looking to solve a
    certain problem.

    if the above doesnt work, you can try calling dell support and see if
    they have a earlier bios you can get.

    was there a reason you decided to flash the bios?

    Jay B, Oct 15, 2007
  6. the only bios update for this machine was to provide server 2003 os support.
    if you read the link provided in my previous reply you will see a dell tech
    suggesting to reset the nvram if updating the esm dosen't help... try that.

    Christopher Muto, Oct 15, 2007
  7. Bruce Varney

    Bruce Varney Guest

    Hi Christopher,

    I didn't get your previous post, can you resend please.

    Thanks.

    Bruce Varney, Oct 15, 2007
  8. Bruce Varney

    Bruce Varney Guest

    I was unable to update the clock, even after changing the battery, updated
    the bios cured that problem but then gave me problems with the fans. I
    believe the machine had been out of use for a few years before it was given
    to me.

    Bruce Varney, Oct 15, 2007
  9. you might just need to replace the battery. a dead battery would result in
    all settings being lost with each restart and reverting back to the
    defaulting settings.

    Christopher Muto, Oct 15, 2007
  10. Bruce Varney

    Jay B Guest

    yes i agree, that's it... why didnt he say that earlier.

    Jay B, Oct 16, 2007
  11. Bruce Varney

    Bruce Varney Guest

    The battery has been replaced, the only setting that is not sticking is the
    fan speed, everything else is ok. I have tried resetting the NVRAM,
    problem still persists.

    Bruce Varney, Oct 16, 2007
  12. i have no more ideas for you other than to wonder if you are just
    interacting with the fan setting bios page in a way that you are not
    actually saving the setting and to once again to suggest that you read that
    link provided - i think it suggested downloading and running dell open
    manage diagnostics. good luck.

    Christopher Muto, Oct 16, 2007
  13. Bruce Varney

    Bruce Varney Guest

    I will run the dell open manage diagnostics - once I find the one for the
    poweredge 2300.

    Bruce Varney, Oct 17, 2007
  14. Bruce Varney

    Bruce Varney Guest

    Eventually found the correct open manage diagnostics. On running the
    programme it intermittently reports high CPU 1 temperature, it is going
    between 49 and 82 degrees! I believe that this is causing the erratic
    behaviour of the fans. I can adjust the fans to quiet mode within this
    programme but the fans soon run at full speed again

    Question: - How is the CPU temperature measured and if it is an actual
    probe, where is it? I have looked at the processor by removing it from the
    motherboard and all seems ok but I couldn't see any sort of measuring probe
    on the motherboard or the processor.

    Bruce Varney, Oct 21, 2007
  15. Bruce Varney

    Jay B Guest

    did you blast it with compressed air?
    sometimes dirt is deep inside and you cannot see it.
    do not mess with the fan trying to stop it or change the temp range.
    it will burn out the system!
    i learned this the hard way... once.

    Jay B, Oct 21, 2007
  16. Bruce Varney

    Bruce Varney Guest

    Yes, CPU has been blasted with air. I don't believe that the CPU is over
    heating because the speed that the temperature changes is way too fast for
    it to be actually happening e.g. one second it says 78c then 2 seconds later
    45c!. This is why I think it is a temperature probe problem

    Bruce Varney, Oct 21, 2007
  17. Bruce Varney

    Jay B Guest

    yes i would agree with you, based on that information.
    i dont think i've ever seen a separate temp probe in any dell system.

    perhaps sell the unit on ebay and be done with it.

    Jay B, Oct 21, 2007
  18. you can't sell this unit, and not just because it is cruel to pass this
    problem along to someone else, but that there is no market for it. it is
    likely over 9 years old and at best has a pentium ii 400mhz processor.
    three years ago i tried to sell several of these beasts and nobody wanted
    them. couldn't even give them away...
    i think the thermal sensor is internal to the processor. perhaps you should
    just buy a new fan and see if that solves the problem. it may not be
    operating properly (unable to maintain speed within a certain tolerance)
    when at low speed and so goes into full speed mode.

    Christopher Muto, Oct 21, 2007