    almost never happen. I need to sell the need to purchase 4 more drives.

    Thanks.

    John

    John, Jun 30, 2004

  2. John

    moncho Guest

    If 1 and only 1 drive fails, the server will continue to work, but it will
    be
    SLOW!. When you replace the drive, depending upon how long between
    the failure and the replacement, it may take a while to restore itself.

    The advantage of having a hot spare, is exactly as its name implies, it will
    pick
    up after the other drive fails and starts to rebuild itself. This is handy
    since you
    necessarily do not have to do anything other than replace the failed drive.

    How much data is there that will need to be restored?
    If the drive dies and you cannot get a replacement for 1 or 2 days, then
    mention
    to the client that performance may suffer by 30% and up. Figure out
    the costs of this performance hit. Don't forget that the peformance hit may
    increase when you install the new drive and the RAID has to rebuild.

    If a drive costs $500, and the potential loss of productivity is $200 per
    hour, then
    it makes alot of sense to purchase the drive if the performance hit lasts
    for 2 days.

    moncho

    moncho, Jun 30, 2004

  3. John

    Robert Guest

    It won't halt - it will keep running.
    Running Windows 2K or 2K3?
    Did they do a DOSA install & load Dell OpenManage Array Manager & Dell
    OpenManage Server Assistant?

    Dell have done SNAP upgrades out here - BIOS, ESM, ERA, Raid driver &
    firmware & even SCSI hdd firmware.
    It pays to keep them current as it would be a question if you did have a
    failure.

    Robert, Jul 1, 2004