    will the RAID rebuild itself? Or do I need to go into the "PowerEdge
    Expandable RAID" BIOS and perform some operation?

    Thanks for the advice!

    violator, May 28, 2006

  2. violator

    S.Lewis Guest

    It would help to post the model and number of the server.

    In my very limited knowledge and experience, I can only say that I've seen a
    PowerEdge 4400 with (6) hot-swappable HDD's in a RAID5 (I think) where the
    replacement drive was simply re-installed physically while the machine was
    up - and subsequently it was automatically re-built.

    That's all I got, which isn't much.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 28, 2006

  3. violator

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    My guess is that this might be one of the orginal PERC controllers, based on
    the AMI Enterprise 418 controller.

    In theory, you shouldnt have to power the server off ... just pull the old
    drive, and replace it with the new one. The rebuild "should" happen
    automatically, but this is a dell we are talking about. While thier
    controllers perform well (oem'd from various companies such as Adaptec,
    AMI/LSI) they are somewhat notorious for mishandling failed drives.

    The reason the post banner says its degraded is that the logical volume has
    lost its redundancy.

    If this server is running windows, I hope you have the OpenManage Server
    Manager, and OpenManage Array Manager installed. If you do not have these
    installed, you should install them. From the ArrayManager, you can silence
    the alaram (you can also do it throught the CTRL+M bios tool), but its
    easier to do via windows. Also, just to be safe, take a full backup of your
    system before you attempt this operation. Its always a good precation,
    especilly for someone that is not utterly intimate with working with these
    controllers.

    Your 18GB drive may take several hours to finish rebuilding, so have
    patience.

    Let me know if you have other questions,

    -NuTs

    NuTCrAcKeR, May 28, 2006
  4. violator

    violator Guest

    Stew, NuTs:

    Thank you both very much for the advice! I'll go turn that alarm off
    now, the sound passes right through my walls and I'm starting to hear
    it in my sleep. ;)

    I'll be plugging the replacement drive in hopefully sometime Tuesday.

    violator, May 28, 2006