    USB but would prefer internal.

    Any thoughts?

    Chris

    Chris Jones, Aug 7, 2006

  2. Chris Jones

    pen Guest

    I don't see any reason why you couldn't use either of the 2 DVD slots and/or
    the
    floppy slot for more SATA drives. The BIOS supports 4 SATA drives.

    pen, Aug 7, 2006

  3. Chris Jones

    Chris Jones Guest

    I don't see any reason why you couldn't use either of the 2 DVD slots
    Yes, that's what I was thinking. But as it isn't my own server I wanted to
    find out if anybody had done it already before I order up another SATA drive
    :)

    Chris

    Chris Jones, Aug 7, 2006
  4. Hi Chris

    Yes - I've got 4x 250GB in mine running Ubuntu and software RAID. All good.

    I even managed to squeeze a DVD-RW in too :D

    The case only has 2 bays. I fitted the third drive in the "floppy" bay
    and the fourth in a bay adapter. The DVD clearly goes in the final 5 1/2
    bay.

    No problems with cooling (yet)...

    You get 1 spare SATA power connector up near the 5 1/2 bays and one in
    the base for the factory fit drive, so you'll need a molex splitter and
    SATA adapter for the fourth drive.

    Oh, one thing. If you add the second drive in the bay at the bottom, you
    need a "Dell" or similar SATA cable as the end of the drive butts hard
    against the side of the cable. Dell charge £20 UKP for said cable. I
    found one on Ebay for £0.99 :D The only rightangle cable I had here had
    the bend the wrong way (hence the possible need for a "Foxconn" aka
    "Dell" genuine part or something the same)...

    Alex

    Alex Harrington, Aug 8, 2006
  5. Chris Jones

    Chris Jones Guest

    Yes - I've got 4x 250GB in mine running Ubuntu and software RAID. All
    Thanks for that Alex, good news.
    That's they way I'll go then.
    I'll have a hunt for it. I couldn't see one when I had a quick look.
    Luckily the system already has two drives mounted on the floor of the case.
    Weird isn't it, but I guess very sensible use of space.
    Thanks for the "Foxconn" info, I didn't know that.

    Anyway thanks for taking the time to reply Alex, I'm off to order the bits
    right now.

    Chris

    Chris Jones, Aug 8, 2006
  6. Anyway thanks for taking the time to reply Alex, I'm off to order the bits
    Chris

    Glad it was useful..

    Cheers

    Alex

    Alex Harrington, Aug 8, 2006
  7. Alex Harrington, Aug 8, 2006
  8. Chris Jones

    Chris Jones Guest

    Chris Jones, Aug 9, 2006
  9. Chris Jones

    intrass

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    seattle, washington
    third sata on poweredge sc430 with windows sbs

    i'm trying to add a third sata drive to a dell poweredge sc430. i mounted it in the upper 5/12 slots and used power from there and put a sata connector into the sata1 port on the board but the windows sbs system doesn't see the drive. any advice? thanks, ron

    intrass, Sep 26, 2007