powerleap ripoff.

Discussion in 'Packard Bell' started by Jeptha, May 21, 2004.

  1. Jeptha

    Jeptha Guest

    Well i finally received my powerleap pro-mmx adapter and
    I now can't believe that I wasted $100 on the piece of junk.

    The included utilities disk was NOT included.

    And the unit itself will not work.
    The speed is 66mhx
    the tweaked speed is 400 mhx at 6.0 CLKMUL
    the voltage is 2.2 volts

    And also....
    The fan was defective and when used the fan would make an annoying and
    loud grind sound.
    When the unit is attached and the computer is turned on the little
    yellow light on the monitor does not go green nor does the computer
    boot up.

    My computer is a packard bell PB 130 (a useless number)
    Model:A950TWR
    FCC ID: FOD640PT

    By looking at the fcc id and the bios update, there is a 640
    motherboard installed with 128 mb of ram.

    any help?

    PS:You may of forgotten that I banned myself for the complaining at
    metronid for 3 months....well i'm back.

    Jeptha, May 21, 2004

  2. Jeptha

    tonys Guest

    First question...what processor are you running?
    Second question...if it an AMD K6 ...you need the Mr Bios Upgraded
    bios...otherwise you will always see that yellow light on your monitor...

    The Utilities can be download from there web site...they really dont do much

    Been running an AMD K6-400 in the old PB640 motherboard for years...and
    years...and years....

    Do you have an L2 cache module in your 640?
    If not get one...make a world of difference, where it is 256k or 512k...

    tony

    tonys, May 21, 2004

  3. Jeptha

    Elector Guest

    John:

    Simply return the defective unit and see if another replacement one
    comes with what you PAID for. Then follow the instructions exactly and
    then come back and let us know how and what happened.

    its also always best not to remind folks of past or present problems
    with another poster(s) it should simply be forgotten or ignored. I am
    sure Metronid has forgotten it by now.

    Elector

    Elector, May 21, 2004
  4. Jeptha

    Jeptha Guest

    Okay, I have the cpu in front of me.

    it is an AMD K6-2/500AFX

    the origional cpu is an intel pentium 166 mmx processor.

    When i suddenly looked at the cpu again, think that the 500 in the cpu
    model # will answer my problems...i might have the wrong cpu.

    Where can I get the L2 cache module? Do they ship to canada? How much?

    I also noticed that all the heatsinks and fans pro the prommx are VERY
    different than the one i have.
    And the fan is a dud so it is driving me crazy.
    I can't switch back to 166 mhz because the fan is also squeaking (the
    same with my 10 other fans)

    Any help?

    Jeptha, May 21, 2004
  5. Jeptha

    Jeptha Guest

    Where can i get the L2 cache module?
    I looked at the cpu and noticd that it is an AMD K6-2/500afx
    Where can i get a new fan?
    Do they ship to canada?
    How much?

    Jeptha, May 21, 2004
  6. Jeptha

    Elector Guest

    You have the wrong cpu so now we are getting somewhere :) The fans
    are easy to buy and you can pick one up at Futureshop which I believe
    is still located in Canada.

    http://www.futureshop.ca/home.asp?newlang=EN&logon=&langid=EN&dept=0&WLBS=fsweb-6

    if the link above does not fit properly then click here:
    http://tinyurl.com/ywrlz which will take you to the same page. They
    are in English and French I gave you the English page.

    I hope that helped?

    Elector

    PS: Yes they ship to/within Canada...

    Elector, May 21, 2004
  7. Jeptha

    mdp Guest

    An AMD 500MHz CPU should work fine, AFAIK they are not clock locked.
    However, the maximum you'll get out of it is 400MHz using the adapter and
    your motherboard (6x66).

    mdp, May 21, 2004
  8. Jeptha

    Ben Myers Guest

    Agreed. The AMD K6 CPUs are not clock-locked. To get 400Mhz out of one, it
    usually works to set the motherboard jumpers as though the CPU was a 133MHz
    Pentium. This setting normally asserts the correct signals for the BF2, BF1,
    BF0 pins which set the clock multiplier... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 22, 2004
  9. Jeptha

    Ben Myers Guest

    Oh, yeah! Running the AMD K6-2/500 at 400MHz is UNDERclocking it, the opposite
    of what most games want to do with their systems... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 22, 2004
  10. Jeptha

    Jeptha Guest

    okay i tried the lowering of the speed to 133 mhz. (clock:6.6 bus speed:2.0)
    It did not work.
    what do you mean by "bf0, bf1 etc.?

    what was this about a "mr bios" upgrade that was mentioned earlier?

    Jeptha, May 22, 2004
  11. Jeptha

    mdp Guest

    Setting the clock multiplier to x2 causes the appropriate BFn signals to be
    generated. What operating system are you running?

    mdp, May 23, 2004
  12. Jeptha

    Ben Myers Guest

    "It did not work." What does that mean? The BIOS did not display the expected
    400MHz speed? The system would not boot at all?

    BF0, BF1 and BF2 are the names assigned to the pins on which asserted electronic
    signals will cause the system to run with a given clock multiplier. That's only
    for us hardware freaks. Setting the motherboard jumpers for the clock
    multiplier generates the appropriate signals on these pins... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 23, 2004
  13. Jeptha

    mdp Guest

    BTW - I have successfully used Powerleap's PL-Pro-MMX adapter on a PB600 MB
    without a BIOS upgrade. I still have a file labeled PB600.exe (300KB) in a
    BIOS folder but don't remember if this is it. Do you/anyone know which MB
    is in this machine?

    mdp, May 23, 2004
  14. Jeptha

    Elector Guest

    Which in some newer systems have the auto set for the jumper pins. The
    multiplier is usually set for the clock speed via the pin assignment.
    Or In some of the newer systems the pin assignment is made so that
    "gamers etc" cannot overclock the system. In this case you place the
    CPU in the motherboard and it detects what it needs to know and sets
    it. In an older PB there should be a mark on the motherboard showing
    the pin assignment for the speed. If there is not, in some cases
    there is a software program supplied by the manufacturer (DFI comes to
    mind) that allows you to set the speed via this method.

    In some cases the CPU is bad and will not function, you should try
    another and see if that is not the case here. If there is a pin
    assignment for AUTO set it to that. If not look at the PIN diagram and
    set the pins for the rated speed of the new CPU.

    Elector

    Elector, May 23, 2004
  15. Jeptha

    tonys Guest

    which motherboard do you have a PB600 or PB640?

    If you have PB640 ........you will need the mr bios upgrade if you want to
    run an AMD K6 processor.....no if s about it....

    tonys, May 23, 2004
  16. Jeptha

    metronid Guest

    That was a very good answer Tony
    Powerleap provides only a board that has the correct voltages (using
    volatge regulators)
    and the multipliers
    integrated to make it user friendly
    The bios must still see the chip
    It does not have to specify it properly but it must recognize it properly
    No see no can do

    I have never purchased one
    I have played with them

    I could etch a board similar to theirs for about 2 dollars
    Soldering in all the pins to be used an an interposer for the cpu socket
    would be kind of hard
    If I checked out the pin spacing that may not be a problem as these pins are
    available in a ready
    made series
    The voltage regulator and current requirements would have to be met

    For the price they charge and what they give I have a hard time beleiving
    that
    they do not give the bios free
    Mircrofirmaware would still be ok if Powerleap would have used them
    Bios can be a lot cheaper when buying in mass
    Then again there are a lot of computers and bioses

    For the price they charge(Powerleap)
    I would surely get another MB first
    Cheap as can be on Ebay

    Using a powerleap is like putting a 4 barrel on
    a dodge slant six
    More power yes
    A lot
    No
    Still have a slant six (by the way that was a die hard engine)
    Never going to be a V6 or V8 no matter how you upgrade

    metronid, May 24, 2004
  17. Jeptha

    Jeptha Guest

    I am running wondows 98 se.

    will I have to pay to ship the powerleap back to the store? (I got it online)

    Jeptha, May 24, 2004
  18. Jeptha

    Jeptha Guest

    oops,

    When i meant "it did not work" I meant that the computer won't even boot.
    I can see the jumper settings because they are printed on the board.
    I wonder......
    If I tested the powerleap on another 166 pc and it boots up.....
    or if it dosen't boot up....
    It might just work.

    I will go test my theory.

    I will tell you the results.

    Jeptha, May 24, 2004
  19. Jeptha

    Jeptha Guest

    OH NO!!!!!!

    IT BOOTED UP!!!

    But it is saying that is a 486 @75 mhz.

    Is my pb motherboard not compatible?

    Did I waste $100 on nothing?

    $70 in upgrade parts....for nothing?

    Note: The one that booted up was the pc that I tested to make certain
    that the powerleap was not dead so the pb did not boot up.

    Jeptha, May 24, 2004
  20. Jeptha

    Ben Myers Guest

    No, the motherboard BIOS is telling you it has no clue what sort of CPU is in
    the system. The speed may still be the hoped for 400MHz. To find out, run
    AMD's CPUSPEED utility available from its web site.

    It is important to realize that a motherboard BIOS is just another computer
    program. It is semi-permanently burned into the BIOS chip. It is susceptible
    to prorgrammer errors and design shortcomings, just like any other software.

    I am dead certain that the BIOS writers never had a clue that the AMD K6 even
    existed when the BIOS was designed and written.

    I have seen similar BIOS misreporting of CPU type and speed all the way back to
    486s, when they were confronted with faster processors in their CPU sockets.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 24, 2004