    I was thinking of 2 Powermates: 1 for volume, 1 for balance. Of course
    what would be really cool would be a dual mono Powermate (split in half
    with each controlling 1 channel) that would turn together when needed.

    The New Guy, Dec 18, 2006

  2. The New Guy

    Pat Guest

    You don't need 2 Powermates to do this. You can make the thing into a
    balance control *and* a volume control.

    The Powermate knob is also a button, so you can perform 5 separate
    functions in an application by mapping the following actions - turn
    left, turn right, click and hold + turn left, click and hold + turn
    right, single click.

    For example, if I click and hold the button, then turn the knob left or
    right, I could be adjusting the L-R balance. If I rotate the same knob
    without holding the button the Powermate is now a volume control. A
    single click on the knob could be play/pause or mute.

    Pat, Dec 18, 2006

  3. The New Guy

    Stephen Guest

    You forgot one...
    Long click

    Stephen, Dec 19, 2006
  4. The New Guy

    The New Guy Guest

    Wonderful news. Now I've GOTTA get one. Thanks!

    The New Guy, Dec 19, 2006
  5. The New Guy

    Pat Guest

    Right you are. That's 6 separate functions, not 5.

    Another cool thing about Powermate: I've recently installed a prefpane
    called MenuMeters, which lets you use a Powermate as a CPU usage meter.
    If you like pretty lights, you can make a Powermate pulse really fast as
    you start maxing out your CPU.

    Pat, Dec 19, 2006
  6. The New Guy

    Bob Harris Guest

    I have got to try that first thing tomorrow morning!

    Bob Harris

    Bob Harris, Dec 20, 2006